Understanding pros and cons of the industry

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by Acire, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Acire

Acire Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Hi All!
    I am fairly new to this site and finally just created my own profile today. I am a researcher for my organization. I also work in procuring asset based carriers. In this process I like first to understand the pros and cons of carriers. No organization is perfect, but much of how a company does business will show through in their ethics as well as problem solving abilities (both internal and external). Having been in this industry for over 4 years now, I know more than most but certainly not as much as some. I'd love to know the areas drivers love to deliver to, the ones they can't stand, the customers they love, the ones they don't, as well as, i'm sure you've guessed it, what trucking companies are wonderful to work for and what ones are not.

I work from my own research as well as the information obtained by those closest to different areas of the industry. I very much look forward to your feedback.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    The answer to your questions have already been discussed in many previous posts. Read the past forums,use the search function,and you will notice how we feel about nearly everything. Do the research and form your opinions.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't know what you are actually looking for but the way it works is twofold.

One is shippers want the cheapest way to move something off their docks to their customers, and they can find it every time.

Two unless there is a personal relationship built between the company and carriers, with personalized service being part of the company's needs that is provided by the carrier, the carriers are all the same.

What drivers want is meaningless and useless to any company.

Canned Spam, HorseShoe and chalupa Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    From a driver standpoint in relating to shippers and receivers. I can say that "region" has little to do what a driver can expect from a given shpr/rcvr. Some seem to have a good amount of respect and appreciation for truckers, some act as though they could care less for them, and you can find both ends of the scale in any given local. But to be fair, truckers have created a lot of their own problems in how they are treated by shpr/rcvr as well as general public.

The carriers themselves all have different approaches in dealing with drivers, largely depending on size. But the business of trucking and the business of driving truck (and maintaining a family life) are largely at odds with one another and there must be a lot of give and take on all sides. Sometimes this comes about smoothly, sometimes not. Problem is, many truck drivers don't have much of a clue what is required on the business/office end to keep their job viable at that particular carrier. And if you ask many truck drivers, they think the sun will not rise unless they do their job.

MrEd and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. Polarbear25

Polarbear25 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Lost
    Regions: In my experience The north east, and Georgia have the ruddest people and tightest docks. But then their are exceptions everywhere. Place in Kansas is in a CAVE!
    Customers: Worst ones I think are the DCs for most large stores except in my experience Walmart and Costco. Hate Publix. There are just so many varients that make it impossible to pin down a type. Every place is different. Generally any place that makes you pay them to take possession of THEIR crap. I really hate the concept of a Lumper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.