UNFI

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by NWregional, Jul 26, 2015.

1. NWregional

NWregional Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Landed a job with Unfi about a year ago. I was really excited about driving for a natural foods company. They called me and welcomed me to the family. I worked at what is called a domicile driver, which means the loaded trailer comes out of the DC and you take it early to selected acounts. This company mostly carries health food. The expensive stuff you find in local co-ops or at whole foods. It was teamsters and the only thing they did for me was a decent wage. No overtime after 8 hrs. only after 40. I went through every shift with these guys and for a while was working nights and days every week for about 3 years. So much for caring about the safety of you're drivers! two nights as a shuttle driver and two days as a delivery driver. Talk about feeling like caa-kaa all week.
    The company is only concerned about the bottom line. They would shove a huge load at you and you would have to figure out how to deliver it. It is a ton of backwork, several time a day you have to sort dairy pallets. Meaning 2 to 7 customers dairy would be stacked on a pallet and you have to sort it by numbers for each of the stops. They do this to add the most freight possible on the truck. It occurred to me over time that the warehouse just did not care how the truck was loaded, neither did management. They would constantly bury things which would lead to much excessive and frustrating work. You have to deliver frozen,dairy and dry goods at most of the stops. Some of the routes started really early, not considering driver safety whatsoever. I was promised they would give us motels, but were forced to sleep in filthy, cheap freightliner sleeper trucks, which were shared by many drivers. Their communication was horrible and the company had no comrodary and you really felt that they did not like you .Anyway I eventually became frustrated with this company and decided to move on. This is my opinion and this was my experience working out of Auburn, WA. Only about 1 in 10 drivers really liked this job in my opinion. So don't get fooled by a decent wage, stick with you're lesser paying job that you like.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    I'm still trying to figure out how you worked 3 years for Unfi when you landed the job a year ago.

4. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I haven't had good experiences with unfi once,.. They're on my list of No's..

RustyChops41 Thanks this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    California math?

6. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Nah, the OP is in Washington State..
    All odds lead to an east coast education

REO6205 Thanks this.
  7. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Doesn't sound like a very pleasant job or workplace.

8. trkrjim

trkrjim Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Iowa City, IA
    I worked for them in Iowa City for a year back in 2004 and didn't think much of them. They didn't pay any overtime there and were always trying to short your hours. Can't imagine how it is now with elogs. At least I didn't have to sleep in any of their trucks while I was there.

9. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    My only experience with them is delivering to their DC in Iowa City.
    Of all the Distribution warehouses I have been to (and I have been to atleast one of each company---i.e. Sysco, Sygma, McClane, Reinhart, Martin Bros., etc...) they were by far the fastest and least painful facility to deal with.
    I have done the Grocery Distribution thing, and it's not for me. Can't do the 3rd. shift thing....and don't wanna do the "unload 14,000 to 16,000 pounds on a 2 wheel cart, 150 to 250 pounds at a time, down a ramp, up some steps, down a hall, around a corner, into a pantry/cooler/freezer at two in the morning" thing.

I'm not a wuss by any means...but that (to me) just isn't worth the money. And if it (job description) had been explained to me just the way I explained it to you...I would have most likely got up and walked out of the very short interview with a hand shake and a "thanks for your time and honesty".

SISYPHUS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.