Union Trucking Companies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by D33RHUNT3R, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Thanks Bucky. Very informative. We have the same problem with businesses leaving out here in California too. Lots of them went to Texas. Like CT they did nothing to stop it and in fact raised taxes to push more out!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. union man

union man Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    BRONX, NEW YORK
    i go through this on the union forum everyday with these jerks, they dont understand, the only way is to be with the teamsters, they are the only ones that you still can make money, they are all anti-union on this forum, and its the companies who love them, because they settle for less, there is some regulation left, in new york city, the union trucking companies, who are part of the construction business, pretty much charge the same rate, as for me, regulation is the only way to go, one price for all

4. Bucky

Bucky Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Well, I'll have to admit to not being the number one fan of unions in the world, but after I made $6,000 in four weeks and home every night working Christmas at UPS - well -
    I guess I had to change my thinking a little.
    Apparently old dawgs CAN learn new tricks.
    :biggrin_255:

5. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Oh I'm all for the union. When I got laid of from YRC in 2007 I was bummed out. It was even worse when Consolidated Freight closed the doors and I was out of a job. I say they go back to regulating the prices and deregulating us drivers!

rocknroll81 Thanks this.
  6. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    I was young and just started driving back in '78 so i am not that up to speed with the politics of back in the day. What i do know is Regulation made it harder to start a business, from what i understand is that you had to go before the established carriers in the area were you were going to open your doors, you had had to prove what worth you were going to have to benifit the trucking industry not like today were anybody can start a business and now you have the government setting laws as in financial proof that you have the money to keep your equipment safe and legal.Back in the day yes you could make a really good wage driving a truck as a union driver when you got an "Exclusive Use" load, that load was at a higher rate then a normal paying load. A Exclusive Use load is a load were a company request's a certain trailer like - i need a 45ft.trailer high cube which is 13'6 x 96'' Bucky makes some good points in his posts. I know when i started OTR back in '78 that there was plenty of freight and the only way you would sit is if you wanted too.I could always pick and choose on were i wanted to go, with that being said, i drove a 5 state area plus the St. Louis Industrial Area and was hauling car parts, the only set back was when the economy took a hit back in the early 80's the company i drove for in time went out of business. It's called putting all your eggs in one basket.

knuckledragger and cool35 Thank this.
  7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    How much truck driving experience does a person need to drive for UPS Freight? Does it need to be OTR, local, or both??

Respectfully speaking, I do hope that the Teamster workers receiving these pay and benefit packages appreciate what they are receiving. There are vast numbers of hardworking Americans, and immigrants alike, who do NOT receive squat for all their hard work, a lot of the hard work being incredibly physically demanding and mentally exhausting.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

8. Silverdollar13

Silverdollar13 Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2013
    That's what I like to hear. Union brothers protecting another union brothers job. I could only wish for the OTR drivers to organize, maybe someday but not in the foreseeable future.

Six9GS and union man Thank this.
  9. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    I drove for Schneider Bulk almost 20 years ago. We would occasionally come across union drivers for Schneider Tank Lines up in Illinois and Wisconsin. They didn't like Bulk drivers and mostly wouldn't talk to us. I also met lots of SNC van drivers who generally thought of the tanker drivers as snobs who wouldn't wave or talk with them. I wasn't like that at all - always waved to the vans as well as the tankers and was happy to run with the van drivers whenever I'd meet up with one.

10. Cobalt Thorium G

Cobalt Thorium G Bobtail Member

May 7, 2013
    I work for a union trucking company. I get paid hourly by time on duty. My minimun guaranteed hours for a year is 975 and I get paid $261/hr.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Yeah , and you're a pilot . Did you read the post about all the airlines that went under ? How healthy is your union pension fund ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.