Unusual Dash Problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Chuckie Chuck, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Chuckie Chuck

Chuckie Chuck Bobtail Member

May 9, 2014
    I drive an 08 Pete 386 with a Cummins ISX. After having in the shop for a new thermostat and fan clutch I have a strange electrical anomaly. The Diagnostic computer won't shut off after pulling the key out of the ignition. The screen on the dash stays lit for days and won't turn off. Is there a relay that controls this? If so where?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    My KW does this too. Never actually paid attention to how long it stays on since it's usually not off very long. You're not alone. Haha Guess I never thought it was odd.

4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Are you talking about the touch screen that is also the radio and GPS? Ours are on a timer, about 1 min after you key off it shuts down. That setting can be changed, but I'm not sure if it's in the settings or if you need ESA to change it. Ask them if they updated the software in it. They have had many software changes and if you hook ESA to it, it tells you that it needs the latest software. Maybe they updated it and left it at all the default settings.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  5. Chuckie Chuck

May 9, 2014
    No. I don't have all that stuff. I have the generic ISX engine control screen that was on all KW, Petes, Maks and Volvos running with ISX when it came out. It normailly blanks out 5 seconds after shutting the motor down and pulling the key from the ignition. I think the mechanic shorted the hot lead to the altenator and fused the relay that controls this, so it no longer goes back to neutral when the engine shuts off. Welded contact syndrome. I don't know where this relay is located on my 386. Everything else works fine. But my engine control screen has been on 24/7 ever since the repair I mentioned, even during my home time when I haven't been in the truck for 48 hours.

6. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    HopeOverMope and brian991219 Thank this.
  7. Chuckie Chuck

May 9, 2014
    I got it figured out I think, will have to wait and see if it happens again. I pulled the dash panel and unplugged the display interface and plugged it back in and now it seems to be working properly, so maybe just a logic crash and needed a hard reset. Time will tell.

GrapeApe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.