Unwritten Rules

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MooneyBravo, Feb 3, 2016.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I would like to talk about what we used to call in the trucking community "Unwritten Rules." They were rules that weren't on the books per se like stopping at stop signs etc. But they were rules that most all drivers respected out of respect for each other.

#1 Signaling the other driver to come in or out

Some fuels stops have clearly marked entrance and exits but some serve as both. When you came up on a fuel stop drive where there was little room for traffic entering and exiting at the same time, we used to actually take turns and signal each other with our headlights or communicate on the radio out of courtesy. We used to monitor Channel 19 at times like these so that we could effectively communicate with each other but one day the disrespectable BS started and drivers(myself included) got tired of it and turned off our radio's. I saw one driver stay back from the drive to let another driver enter and one driver after another(8 or 10) followed like it was a parade. Not one of those drivers stopped to signal the other driver to come out. This a prime example of the erosion that has occurred in our jobs.

This is what happens when one young driver gets trained by another young driver with less than a year experience. It has brought us to where we are now. Drivers can't teach about unwritten rules if they weren't taught themselves. The whole fabric has been changed right under our noses and most of the respect we once had out here has gone out the window.

stevez57305, Hurst, thejackal and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    #2 Stopping and dimming your headlights when another driver is backing

We used to actually stop and especially at night we would dim our lights while another driver was backing. When the other driver was lined up and pretty much where he needed to be, he would flash his lights to thank the other driver and indicate that it was clear to roll.

Everyone is in too big of a hurry these days and some of you may even need to get your dictionary out to look up the word stop.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I blink my marker lights when I meet or pass a snow plow as a means of expressing my appreciation for the thankless job they are doing. I don't know if they get it, but it makes me feel better.

Turn on your marker lights at night when you see someone is backing in next to you, especially if it is a particularly dark parking lot.

If possible, and you see a reefer behind you at the pumps, try and pull up a bit further in case he needs to hit his reefer fuel while you're still inside.

5. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    #3 Proper signaling when a driver has passed.

This one is kind of tricky seeing how some of the trucks have lights that don't give you the option of turning them on/off when rolling. Not sure how this business of flashing our high beams at the passing driver got started but it is the most discourteous thing you can do. I've relaxed on this one and I can accept a high beam flash as long as it is really fast and not blinding but I still reach down or hit the button on my steering wheel to signal the other driver that it is safe to come back over. It also indicates to the other driver that he is far enough in front of the driver where he won't be kicking up stones into the other drivers window. This another common error today; Drivers returning to the lane too soon, not leaving a safe distance between him and the driver behind.

6. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    #4 Blocking the fuel lane while shopping or standing in line for food

This is the most selfish act there is out here and nothing is more aggravating. I mean it's one thing if it's late at night and the truck stop is actually full or all the lanes are wide open. Most of us would not have a problem with this. But some drivers go in and tend to all their selfish needs while the truck parking is wide open. Oh I'm sorry. I forgot. That would require walking wouldn't it?

7. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    That's a very good point. Thanks driver.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    My feeling is, if an individual has "trucking in his blood", they will figure out a lot of these "common sense" things on their own, hopefully sooner rather then later. Most of the "trainers" (IMHO) don't seem to have a sense of most basic common sense tips and pointers so don't expect most new drivers to be "trained" in these more "non-mainstream" matters related to courtesy, and making other's jobs a bit easier and safer and more efficient.

(It's all about me, me, me with a lot of new[er] drivers but I don't necessarily blame them directly. I blame an up-bringing in a screwed up modern society in general, as well as their trainers are largely very deficient in "common trucking knowledge")

9. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lepton1 and taxihacker66 Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I would have hoped we could consolidate these into a single post, that allows additions. This can potentially get to be hundreds of new posts if you know them all.

d o g Thanks this.
  11. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    #5 Leaving drivers a non-restricted lane on the left to pass.

Trucks stay over one lane so they don't get slowed down by traffic entering the freeway in the city. When there are only 2 lanes and we are out of the city, we move back to the right lane. But some drivers stay in the middle lane at all times regardless if other drivers are allowed to pass on the left or not. With the onset of No trucks in the left lane, this has become a big problem creating a scenario where the driver now has to unsafely pass on the right. This too I believe is from a lack of proper training. Or they just don't care about the other driver.

stevez57305, Grijon and Captain Zoom Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.