upgrading cobra 29 ltd classic

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wannabnapete, Aug 19, 2010.

1. agoodfella222

agoodfella222 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Ur 100% right!! You could have a $800 radio & a $200 antenna but if you have an old wore out coax its not gonna sound like it should!!! Thats why you should have ur whole system checked out like ur "radio mic antenna wiring & ur grounds for ur antenna & radio" and everything should sound great on all ends!!! Ive seen a quick tune for about $10 to a whole tune & peak & everything checked for around $60!! Might be more depending on where u go & if u need more work but thats what ive seen for pricing!!! Thanx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. agoodfella222

agoodfella222 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Also lets say u by a new radio & an awesome antenna & ur new antenna comes with 10ft of coax so u install the radio & antenna but u only need 4ft of coax to run to ur antenna most people would usually wined up the other 6ft tape it up or zip tie it & throw it in or under the dash but ur new stuff isnt gonna sound like it should cuz u dont need all that extra coax especially wound up under or in ur dash so use the least amount of coax as u can cuz the less u use the better its gonna sound on all ends!!! Also guys sometimes too much power is a bad thing and i know every driver out there im sure hates it when someone keys up and talks and blows there ears out & then has a nasty monster beep after they talk its annoying as hell so if u have that much power please turn down ur mics!!!! Thank u

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The little atoms and electrons don't worry whether it is 4 feet or 25 feet or even 50 feet, so it really doesn't matter.

By the way, I am calling BS on the 50 watts. I've got a few radios here and not one of them can hit 40 watts with a peak job unless something else happens to them like replace the finals and if it is just $60 to do that, I question the guy's work.

5. TwoCoins

TwoCoins Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Young guy? If so, that was Matt, a buddy of mine. He was very recently forced out.

6. Clay Atkins

Clay Atkins Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2015
    South Dakota

That's not entirely accurate. Do you understand what induction is? If you coil up a bunch of coax it can act as an inductor, in addition to that every foot of coax has a specified amount of resistance. More coax=more resistance. I don't know everything about CBs, and RF is a tricky #####. but even taking basic AC and DC fundamentals will teach you a lot of useful information.

7. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    @Ridgeline you left us hanging.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Left you hanging with what?

IF you are talking 100 feet, then there is attenuation involved that you can maybe sort of maybe notice but between say 3 feet and 30 feet, no noticeable difference if there is a quality coax used.The signal won't say "whew, that 25 feet is impossible to push through, maybe we need to just stay right here".

I asked this before, does anyone here understand how coax losses are measured and how to actually measure them?

I don't think I got an answer, so until someone thinks of one, I will just keep silent.

BTShepp Thanks this.
  9. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i had my 29 ltd worked on. it made 49w. it got finals and some other voodoo. i have a wilson 2k antenna and wilson 18' coax. i've personally talked clearly to 7 miles. fuzzy but understandable to 9 miles. ive received 13 mi away.

i get compliments frequently on how clear and crisp it is. astatic mic. profound cb in whiteland, indiana did it. they did 2 others at work too and they all perform equally.

Wallhack and DRAGON64 Thank this.
  10. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Even with a mosfet final upgrade 49 watts is a stretch for a Cobra 29. I know Dave has a digital meter , a scope, and a spectrum analyzer and he appears to know how to use them but he tried to sell me that $85.00 supertune but Im fine running stock or just paying for a alignment. After all the mods he performed and using one of the top anttennas on the market you say that you can transmit 9 miles but fuzzy, you should be able to do that with stock cobra 29 ( 4 watts to pep swing of 16 watts), I do it all the time( and further) with volvo stock antenna.

11. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I went and saw Dave , at Pro-Found Cb, for a receive alignment on a fairly new 29 chrome ltd. He said it was off frequency and was able to make it better, I know he used a signal generator but not sure what else he did. On transmit his meter showed 5 watts swinging to 20 with 100% modulation ( I had already turned up vr4) so I was fine with that. Dave is a decent guy, used to work at Steel Rods cb, Im just not interested in modding radios anymore, in the past 20 years Ive probably tried every mod at least once( mosfets,swing kits, remove limiter etc.) and from my experience most of them did more harm than good. Lately Im fine running stock radios with maybe an alignment to make sure transmit and receive are performing correctly.

BTShepp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.