Us company drivers have dreams at night of being lease purchase operators

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by A Bug, Jul 13, 2016.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    What do you lp guys net each week on average?

I have been dwelling on leasing a truck for a while now. Someday I would love to be independent and be in charge of my own truck. It is just that right now I only have about $10k saved up.

Big problem is I have a real nice company job right now with jb hunt. Total pay before any deductions each week is $1200-$1600. I am home every weekend. Even get two weeks of paid vacation each year. The office folks are great and they take care of all my needs. I cannot make any complaints about the job.

For some reason I am just getting restless.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Company driver here. Absolutely no desire to LP....

This advice is very universal... Don't let restlessness cheat you out of happiness. I am sure there are plenty of LP that wish they had 10k saved.

This doesn't seem like enough money to be stable.

peterd and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    My humble opinion A Bug. There is nothing wrong with wanting to pilot your own ship. But I would not do a lease purchase. At all. Never heard of one that works well for the driver. Keep saving a little longer, shop very thoroughly, and buy a good used truck and be an owner operator. Then you'll have the freedom you want. Many of those lease purchases, you still have to get permission to fix stuff, and are told where to fix it at, and when. No freedom there. Just like a company driver as far as the "freedom" but with your credit rating at risk.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    You have dreams but many people have night mares of their stuff being taken away before they make the next payment. Having high medical bills with substandard insurance. Their dog biting them when they come home or their children asking mommy who is that strange man.
    What are the differences between being a share cropper and having a lease purchase? 1: They do not pay you with their own money that is only good at their own store. 2: Unless you live in your truck your house is not tied up in the deal. 3: ?
    Just read back through the post and see I should not have answered. Please excuse me because I have no LP. I have just seen very few get through that with their marriage and or a truck that was worth anything.

John Dewart and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. SteeringWheelHolder411

SteeringWheelHolder411 Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Chicago
    A lease purchase is fine.......

As long as.......

You hold the cards

7. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    You will not make that kind of money and be home every weekend fleasing on with any carrier.

SteeringWheelHolder411 Thanks this.
  8. SteeringWheelHolder411

Jul 15, 2014
    Chicago
    I recommend a dealership for a lp who don't care what company you go to as long as you pay. Here is an example- bill has a Mhc dealership but has s Facebook page too. I'd just browse to look more into it

Attached Files:

9. SteeringWheelHolder411

Jul 15, 2014
    Chicago
    In no way am I promoting what I posted but it was something that I was looking at. It's just an example- i didn't look into it enough yet to say one way or another

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  10. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    You'll bring home 2000 to 4000 per week.
    Every time I ask a leased driver what they
    Make that's what they tell me.
    They never seem to have the settlement sheets though.

11. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Did you decide to lease somewhere?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.