US company trying to go into Canada to deliver loads

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by RomanSGI, Apr 4, 2013.

1. RomanSGI

RomanSGI Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Haslet, TX
    Helllo everyone!

We have several trucks that run refrigerated loads throughout the US. All of our trucks have apportioned plates including many states in Canada. Now, what I want to know is, what do I have to do to pickup load from the US and deliver it to Canada? Most of the time, our trucks will be driving bobtail out of canada to New Jersey. I heard of something called a "bar code"?

Can someone please shed some light on this. Also heard you have to have a device similar to pre-pass to go through border without trouble and our company dispatch would notify the auhorities or 3rd party ahead of time (truck #, driver, what commodity hauling) in advance with that 3rd party service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! BTW, we are based out of Texas!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. billandlori

billandlori Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Stratford, Ontario, Canada
    You will need to send a PARS manifest to your Canada Customs Broker when your heading into Canada. At the border, they will scan the bar code and check your Passport/FAST Card.

To go back into the US you need to send an ACE manifest to your US Customs Broker even if your empty/bob tail. You will also need a US Customs Transponder or they ding you some cash, I think it was around $50 or more. They really want you to have a transponder lol!!! The transponder tells them all about you and your truck and load as you roll up to the booth. You hand your ACE manifest to the Customs agent with your passport/FAST card.

Hope this helps!

Bill

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. Down the road

Down the road Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    It really all depends on what you're hauling.

The best thing for you to do to avoid any confussion and misinformation is to call the customs broker that will handle the paperwork for customs.
    Call them and they will tell you exactly what you need to do in order to get across the border.

Keep in mind that a driver will need a passport or a FAST card and cannot have a criminal record to enter Canada. DUIs are considered felonies in Canada and they would refuse entry to a driver turning them back.

Good luck.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    Also need a passport, or passport card, for each driver and they must be able to clear Canadian Immigration. Forget anyone that has a felony on their record and many misdemeanors, especially those involving violence. Ontario and Quebec require the speed of electronic engine trucks be limited to 62 mph.

x1Heavy and LaBubba Thank this.
  6. interdude

interdude Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
    no way.......

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I have been coming out of Canada empty for the last 3 years and never had an ACE manifest . U.S. Customs fee is $10.75 .
    Trucks are governed at 65 m.p.h. . That's what mine is and it's been checked at Ontario scales 3 times .

x1Heavy and LaBubba Thank this.
  8. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Canada
    Canada does not have any states

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  9. RomanSGI

RomanSGI Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Haslet, TX
    @billandlori @downtheroad @autocar: Thanks for your valuable input! I appreicate it!

@interlude @rickg @bikerboy: Provinces or whatever, anyways ya'll get the point (what I meant)

10. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    Also, remind your drivers, no weapons, not even pepper spray. They are not allowed to be taken into Canada. That is a foriegn country and the rights you all enjoy, in the US, do not apply there.

x1Heavy, LaBubba and passingthru69 Thank this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I know others have covered some of this but I'm going to post this anyways.

The shipper is responsible for the load's customs paper work requirements and have to make sure there is a declaration of value, which the broker uses to figure out the tariffs, and pays the tariffs on behalf of their customer before the shipment is cleared for entry into the country. I have had loads which the paper work appeared perfect but the broker screwed up so badly that the shipment was held up for 12 hours at a time and I couldn't get it off my truck. Other times I would find problems with the paper work, talked to the broker and they said go to the border and see what happens - I've going through both side of the border with those loads without even a question of "how long have you been in ...".

You as the carrier are supposed to ensure that the paper work is correct, the driver has the proper credentials to enter Canada (and no DUIs or felonies) and you as a carrier are registered with the Canadian Government as an carrier. They will provide you with the details of what the insurance requirements you need, how to obtain your PARS barcode and so on.

To enter Canada, you don't need much, a passport or enhance license helps but a FAST card is the best for both sides of the border and worth the expense. The problem isn't with Canada but entering the US, they are anal and will question a US citizen relentlessly. Out of my years of cross border work, I have had only one US Border office ever crack a joke or be funny, he was the exception and this leads me to a word of advice, don't mess with either countries custom's people, they can mess up your day so badly and they have the right to rip into your truck to look for "contraband" with no justification.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.