US company trying to go into Canada to deliver loads

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by RomanSGI, Apr 4, 2013.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wajiha

Wajiha Bobtail Member

May 25, 2015
    You should also be aware that starting July 10, you will be required to transmit all of your cargo and conveyance data to the border one hour before your truck arrives electronically. I cannot stress how important that. To do so, you'll need to be hooked up to the border agency through a portal. There are different options available based on the size of your business. You can find out more detailed information here: https://telematicssolutions.wordpress.com/2015/06/16/emanifest-for-your-fleet-solutions/

4. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Sorry for kicking a 7 year old topic, but is all the stuff detailed here still valid?

Almost done getting my own authority and want to include Canada when registering my truck and get a passport. While not an immediate desire, hauling into Canada (all provinces) is something I eventually want to do.

In regards to the speed limiting, how does that work in regards to US trucks? Would I have to get my truck limited every time I wanted to pull a load into Canada and then get it unset when returning to the US if I didn't want that limit while in the US?

5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    It's not all of Canada, just Ontario and Quebec. Yes, if you go to either one of those provinces you would need to have it limited to 105 kph.

6. Vaso.L

Vaso.L Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    South Holland,IL
    Had a nice load today from Houston to Ontario 2.3$ per mile but i am not registered with canadian dot and dont have pars code,ill have to obtain that as the rates can be very good.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    NOPE. Do not enter Canada, Do not pass Go DUI stands as if they got it last night.

Try to accept that Canada wants nothing but virgins in pure as driven snow at the borders. All others would be turned away.

8. My Back Hurts

My Back Hurts Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2020
    I will try to explain how a criminal record works, and how it could affect you, when crossing the borders, both ways...

Here's the important part: Felony and Misdemeanor, and the Canadian equivalent... Indictable and Summary offence.

Understand these these terms, as it can muck your travel time up if you are unprepared...

A DUI in the US is viewed as a Misdemeanor Class offense, generally speaking, but in Canada it is viewed as an Indictable Offense, which is the US's version of a Felony.

The same thing holds true for Canadians traveling into the US... However, a Canadian with a DUI is generally not hassled at the border, since that charge is viewed as a Misdemeanor in the US.

So it all depends on your charges... Some US Felons may be permitted entry into Canada, since here that particular Felony charge would be classified as a Summary (Misdemeanor) offense, as well as the other way around...

I talk too much, but if you have a DUI in the US, you must apply for a waiver before entering, and you'd be best suited to phone the CBSA well before travel to see if you can obtain a waiver for your travels. It can be done, but it also must be done before you try to travel across the border.

I don't make the rules, I just report them.

9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    After 6 years working the US part of a Canadian Carrier, a driver using PARS and a passport card may get through a few times but eventually will run into that day where they check EVERYBODY trying to truck into their country.

When the man asks "were you EVER arrested"; think very carefully about your answer as he is already looking at the answer on his screen.

We had a polish born fleet owner from the greater Chicago area who'forgot' about a disorderly when he was 19 yrs old as it was close to 30 years old. and he said 'NO'.....caused a world of hurt as he always indicated he was born in Indiana and other than the numerous extra consonants in his last name, you wouldn't think he wasn't born in the mid west.....

Prior to 9-11 our shop super was flying up for his first company annual meeting and they found his DUI, he was allowed [back then] to purchase a bond to allow him to visit for the weekend meeting. This may no longer be an option......

10. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    tinytim and not4hire Thank this.
  11. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.