US mail contractors

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Graymist, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Husbands little helper

Husbands little helper Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Anyone know of the Austin area, needing a usps (mail contractor) need local job.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Google USPS distribution center in Austin TX. I think the closest one is located at 8225 Cross Park Dr, Austin, TX 78710. Each state has various different mail contractors, so what I would recommend is go to your local distribution center and right down the names of the various different contractors entering in and out of the facility. And then research on them and put an application down. If you get a chance, talk to one of the drivers, but make sure you do not enter into the facility, because it is federal property.

4. Husbands little helper

Husbands little helper Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Thank you so much!!!!

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  5. Mailman53

Mailman53 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2016

6. Mailman53

Mailman53 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2016
    I work for Pat Salmon also known as MCA we have a yard in Ohio with plenty of work. Excellent company to work for.

7. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    I worked for matheson 12 yrs ago as a seasonal driver.I got hired on in sept.2015.things have really changed.the trucks I drove 12 yrs ago is the same trucks being driven today.I had to refuse to drive the truck to get then to fix the busted seat.they have no respect for the drivers.you do get free insurance if solo.but at 20.00 a hr that adds up to .33 a mile.

passport220 Thanks this.
  8. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    It's probably because DOT is EXTREMELY leniate with mail carriers because your dealing with the federal government, even with contract carriers.

Let's just say DOT has a blind eye if you're hauling mail.

9. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    That is patently untrue. Try having a run that runs through a scale on a daily basis at a certain time and they know the route. When your driver goes through said scale later than normal they have a tendency to now want to see your logs cause they know there's a chance you've exceeded a time rule or two. Happens all the time on one of our mail runs in the winter. Our mail trucks tend to get inspected more overall than our freight trucks.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  10. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    OK, let me clarify on my statement. Now we all know that if you pull a Postal Trailer that is leased to USPS (you know, the trailer with the numbers that have 202..., or 71MTE..., and others), that they ARE NOT in the greatest of conditions and would not pass DOT inspection. So therefore, any contractor pulling a Postal trailer would most likely be shutdown IF they ever went through and inspection. And mail has to delivered on a set schedule. If DOT shut down any of the trailers, that would mean they would be put out of service and have to be reloaded onto anouther trailer that is passable. And we all know the Federal government would not be happy about that if that happened. USPS MVS TTO drivers are ACTUAL Federal Employees and are pretty much exempt from everything. That's why they have no license plate, insurance, registration, logs, etc., etc. Most of the trailers are leased to USPS. The ONLY trailers that are ACTUAL USPS trailers are MVS and PVS trailers, and they are the trailers with the big Postal Eagle logo on the side of the trailers. Unless the contractor has their own trailers to haul mail, such as Finkle, Ling, B&B, MTI, etc., etc., then they MAY be pulled in for inspection.

I'm not saying that it never happens, but like I mentioned, your not dealing with normal freight, your dealing with the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. And MVS TTO's NEVER have to deal with DOT or the police, unless they get into an accident..

11. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    I thought all Mail contractors had to follow federal labor laws including pay

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.