USAL or United Road in Houston TX

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by HoustonTrucker, Jun 26, 2015.

1. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Hey all, I'm in Houston TX with a little over 2 years driving experience, I've been been researching car hauling. The two companies I've seen mentioned are USAL and United Road.

I'm looking to get some input on both companies from guys who have worked at either one. Scheduling, working conditions, equipment, pay, benefits, how busy do they keep you etc etc.

From what I have read United Road does more OTR, which I am trying to avoid. I dont.mind being out during the week but I'd like to be home.for most weekends. I was contacted by a recruiter for them and she said they run a mix of regional and OTR out of Houston. First year pay on their website says expect around $60k. Not as high as I was hoping.....

USAL seems to be a little better choice, looks like the primary running the south. If I remember correctly they stated on their site the average pay for drivers is $92k a year. Does USAL run day cabs? Run by yourself or in teams?

I work with a guy who hauled cars for a brief period for a small company and he keeps telling me about how he had to do team driving, which along with OTR I am not wanting to do. I prefer to be by myself.

I'll keep researching myself.but if any current or former USAL or United Road drivers can add their input it would be greatly appreciated.

1tumbleweed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bamanation

bamanation Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    USAL seems to be a little better choice, looks like the primary running the south. If I remember correctly they stated on their site the average pay for drivers is $9

4. bamanation

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    USAL hired and trained me to haul cars in June 2014. I can't say I know it all but I'll try to answer any questions you have. Yes we have daycabs and sleeper trucks. We also have teams in Houston. However you would have to volunteer for that type work. So far it's been the best decision I've made in my driving career.

5. interpreter

interpreter Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2013
    I am looking at either USAL or Hansen and Adkins living in Lawrenceville, GA. Any advice/information on either company would be great.

6. bamanation

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    USAL would be a better choice. However since I work here my opinion is biased :) Living around Lawrenceville you could be home a lot with either company.

7. Dorsey

Dorsey Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Florida
    If your going to make 92,000 with USAL your going to have to run a lot of miles. Does anyone do math anymore?

8. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I just quoted what their website said, no need to be a jerk about it.

9. bamanation

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    You obviously do not work for USAL nor do you know what your talking about. .60 cpm is just a mileage pay. It's a lot better than just .60 cpm. $92000 is just an average number. You can actually make way above that. Or you make way less than that you are not wanting to get after it.

10. Driver2727

Driver2727 Light Load Member

May 21, 2015
    I drive for USAL as well and I can also say that it's the best job I have ever had. It would be a lot of driving to do 100k at just .60 a mile but when you add in loading pay, stop pay, reload pay, 8 paid holidays, breakdown pay, 2 weeks vacation and 5 personal days after 6 months employment, and decent benefits; it's really not that hard. I was broke down one and a half days this week and will still gross over $2,000 for the week. Not to mention I will be home this weekend with my family just as I am almost every weekend and sometimes I even make it by a night or two during the week. This job is not for everyone but for those that it is for, it's pretty hard to beat. (By the way some terminals pay 64.5 cents per mile and if it's 60 or 64.5 it's for all miles loaded and empty)

interpreter and Dorsey Thank this.
  11. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I may be just an ignorant car-hauler but I love math, so here goes my attempt. I have several friends who left a $2,000 a week job at my employer to go to work for USAL, strictly for better equipment and neither took a pay cut. Average 65 cents all miles, loaded and mty (2250 miles is a conservative figure for simulted math calculation) would be $1462, 2 backhauls paid at $22 a car on a 10 car load pays $440,(more if you haul 11, less if you haul 9) skid drops should pay $50-$100 on average a week give or take. This simulated math calculation works out to roughly $2,000 a week, which when you account for better weeks and worse weeks it still averages near $2,000. If you can't run 2250 miles a week with 2 backhauls your slacking, so it would be very easy to make $92,000 a year at these numbers if you work. Remember that carhaulers are not freight haulers and are not paid like freight haulers. One really should know what you speak of before you insinuate that others are not intelligent enough to do the math. Disclaimer, I do not work for USAL and don't currently plan to work there, but I have heard a lot of good about them and I never say never. I have also heard that it is a job, and most jobs aren't always sunshine and roses. Neither is my job, but it's pretty good most days!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.