Use outlets with APU turned off

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Veteran driver, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
    Anybody know if it's possible to use the outlets with the APU turned off ?
    Right now the only way to use them is if the APU is turned on

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Not when thy areally tied directly to the apu. You will need a separate inverter for that.

4. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    What type/brand APU do you have?

Typically if it's a generator driven type like the Comfort Pro from Impco, you have to have the APU on.

One way to get around that is to install an inverter

Veteran driver Thanks this.
  5. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
  6. Benfica1982

Benfica1982 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2016
    I know when the apu is off ( thermo pack ) in the truck I was in it would run the batt down .
    Now I have no apu but in the bunk area I have a voltage warning indicator that warns me how much voltage I have when my truck is off and I'm using my invertor.
    I honestly run my truck while my invertor is being used .

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you have to run the engine or APU to get sufficient output from your inverter, then sounds like they have you running on absolute minimum battery count (probably 3 small batteries). If you have 4 big batteries, you should be able to run a 1500 watt inverter for 5 hours before drawing down to any sort of a critical level. But if you only have 3 small batteries, then you might have to always have supplemental voltage to run the inverter (truck alternator or APU trickle)

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Without causing harm to your batteries, you should set up your comfort pro's battery monitor. You'll need a decent volt meter but you should take a reading off your batteries, go to your display and you'll want to select "calibrate voltage," then set your battery monitor to the minimum voltage. When the apu drops below set value for 10 minutes the apu kicks on for 90 minutes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.