Used Pete for my first truck as independent

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by mikie10_king, Aug 3, 2016.

1. mikie10_king

mikie10_king Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Fowler,CA
    im looking at a used pete 386 2011 550,000 mi anything specific I should look for?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    What engine? What rears? Is it Manuel Auto what transmission does it have? Stay away from paccar engines. As for the truck it self it has good build quality well comparing it to freightliners. You should be looking for maintenance records or any type of work it has been done to it. Forget oil samples unless they hadn't changed it. Test drive it take it on the highway dont baby it floor it check for vibrations in the steering wheel. Check if power is consistent through out its rpm climb. Check for oil leaks most dealers wash their engines so sometimes are hard to spot and last find out if it came off a big mega fleet. Stay away from those white beat to death walmart trucks.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  4. mikie10_king

Jul 12, 2016
    Fowler,CA
    cat c-15 don't know rears manuel trans 13 speed

5. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    I have heard good and bad things about that engine. If my memory is correct i would keep the air filters as clean as possible change them on regular. Heard of turbo failures more often 10 most engines. Not too familiar on the newer cat my first and last cat was a c12 with well over 1.8million miles on her that thing was a unkillable engine.13 speed is a great overall transmission. Keep digging for information. You will find good and bad on here everyone else's experience is different.

6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Run away.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi mikie, well, the truck is right at the point of "nickel and dime status". Half a mil is when things start to pile up ( that's maybe why it's for sale) Sometimes, if you know what to look for, it's better to get a higher mileage truck, as most of those half a mil demons were taken care of. Make sure you get a history on the engine ( Cats can go a million miles) and any other work that's been done. Personally, I'd go with a Detroit, although, all my trucks had BC Cummins engines. Better get it cheap, there's a million trucks out there. Good luck.

mikie10_king and rocknroll81 Thank this.
  8. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Cat is paying millions to settle lawsuit over that year engine run away

mikie10_king and daf105paccar Thank this.
  9. Txoutlaw73

Txoutlaw73 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    1/2million miles it's ready for a top end than the turbo will fail next ,I'd steer clear like someone mentioned earlier I'd look for a truck with higher milage,because chances are they have had the top end done as well as a complete in frame done

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Babjr and 201 Thank this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I'm surprised that truck actually made it that long. If it has a functioning dpf you should not buy this truck. It really is as bad as everyone says.

mikie10_king Thanks this.
  11. mikie10_king

Jul 12, 2016
    Fowler,CA
    Whats a Dpf?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.