Used Pete for my first truck as independent

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by mikie10_king, Aug 3, 2016.

1. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    D
    Diesel Particle Filter

mikie10_king Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    A bankrupter ...lol

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    This is how I imagine you. A steering wheel holder for a mega company with no knowledge of the business whatsoever, but with a dream of owning a Pete (possibly chroming it out) and bragging about it to his friends. If you do not know what DPF is, you are far far away of becoming an O/O, you have a lot of reading to do about engines, trucks, rates and all that stuff before buying a truck.
    Read all the threads in the O/O section for start

mikie10_king Thanks this.
  5. Txoutlaw73

Txoutlaw73 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Everyone has to start somewhere.a lot of ppl don't have a clue about a dpf system.all they know is when they fuel up they have to fill 3 tanks instead of two ,both fuel tanks and the Def tank .even than I've ran into a lot of drivers out there who couldn't back a trailer and have never even lifted a hood .but the worst questions are those that are never asked .so before belittling the guy for his lack of knowledge, teach him .that's part of the growing problem with the trucking industry today .so many drivers no longer help each other out ,back when I started if you seen someone broke down you stopped and offered to help if you could .now days it's every man for them selfs.no one wants to teach the younger generation of drivers .and that's why there is such a huge turn over rate

The Admiral, tucker and mikie10_king Thank this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You basically just rephrased what I told him to do. Read and learn the stuff before buying a truck

Bean Jr. and mikie10_king Thank this.
  7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Give the guy some kudos he asked before buying it.. Now if he buys it still then some criticism is needed

8. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Umm hard on him haha but this guy speaks the truth i would read up on things on here. This place is an oasis for truck knowledge. Read up on dpf,scr,def and all the other emission crap. Maybe buying a older truck would be better.

Txoutlaw73 and mikie10_king Thank this.
  9. Txoutlaw73

Txoutlaw73 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Buying a older truck is the only way to go in my opinion ,no emissions crap to deal with .now you may not be able to run California with an older truck but for me that's a added bonus lol

CruisingAlong Thanks this.
  10. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    Poster is in Cali. from what see. He has to have at the minimum a DPF(diesel particulate filter) to be legal in Ca. To the poster: Cat got out of the on highway engine business around 2008. The way they tried to get their motors CARB compliant did not work the way it should. Actually all the mfg's had big problems until somewhere in the 2013 range.

11. hammerstrap

hammerstrap Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I have been an o/o for 2 1/2 years and have decided to buy a newer truck myself. I have asked the owner of the company that I am leased to for his experiences with the newer Cummins engines. I found a nice 2010 389 Pete but the ugly story of a new 2010 Volvo that had 50k in repairs the first year ruled that truck out. I am now looking at 2012 Pete 388's and the email with the 14k repair bill on a 2012 Pete 387 with 425k on it makes me vigilant to make sure the emission system has been done.
    He also gave me the advice of not buying anything with a single source engine like a Paccar, Mercedes, Volvo or Maxfarce. We have 2 lightweight Freightliners with Mercedes and last week in Klamath Falls Oregon I found out why not to own one. It was down 5 days for a water pump. Had it been a Cummins or a series 60 anyone around would have had parts.
    I feel if a person buys a late model Cat engine they are in for trouble because the parts are scarce and service knowledge is going to be next to zilch.

Txoutlaw73 and mikie10_king Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.