using prescription drugs and driving

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by patomalo24, Jul 26, 2016.

1. patomalo24

patomalo24 Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2016
    I have looked in to this and understand that drugs such as Adderall and tramadol are not allowed BUT if your prescribing doc provides a letter to the examiner it may be ok. has anyone out there had any experience with this? and what was your experience? thanks so much for your time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I have no idea about the drugs in question but I'd say if you are taking anything that would impair your ability to drive, you going to have a hard time finding a doctor to sign off on it.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    In the top right hand corner of this page there is a search box. Type in Adderall and you will get hundreds of posts asking this same question and hundreds of responses about using such drugs in trucking. Get your favorite beverage, sit down and go for it.

5. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    DOT regulations spell out exactly what you have to do with a prescribed drug. The reg spells out pretty clearly what you need to do.

Btw, you may hear people talk about a DOT list of banned drugs or something similar. There is NO SUCH LIST. Keep that in mind while doing your research.

6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    There is such a list, it is Schedule 1 drugs. That's the drug that have no medical use in the federal government. If a doctor agrees that you are ok to drive after you explain your driving duties then it's ok to drive expect for some specific medications like methadone. However, getting by the company is another story. You must notify your company of the medications you're taking. You might be told you can not take that medication but that sure beets a violation of company rules especially if you're in a traffic accident. You're only required by your company to inform them and the federal government will have to stay out. But it's like playing with TNT. I would go through everybody if it were me.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. alghazi

Aug 29, 2014
    I meant list of prescribed drugs.

8. alghazi

Aug 29, 2014
    What regulation requires a driver to notify the company (as opposed to the medical examiner) of the driver's prescription drugs?

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I take Tramadol and have never failed a drug test.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will not be allowed to drive a commercial vehicle if you are prescribed certain medications. Simply because there is no doctor with balls enough to sign off you as safe to drive same. I would not. Hell. I take two schedule II medicines every day as part of my quality of life issue goal to live out my years if I have that long.

There is no way I will want to ask my doctor to sign me off to DOT as safe to drive a 18 wheeler. Ive been on this narcotic for so long it does not affect me anymore... However with one other medicine during certain times of the doseage several times a day I have to sleep. I don't want that to come on at 70 mph in heavy traffic doing battle with cars who have behaved badly around me.

There is just no way.

That is me talking, I turned in my CDL to go back to basic D license for a car as a further protection against prosecution if Im driving to the store and am pulled over due to the mix of medicines in my system making mistakes for a driving under influence.

Im not stupid. Im professional enough to recognize that as a patient with the training and understanding of narcotics over the years under a very good doctor I expect to live out my remaining life in a time of peace and less pain until it's over.

It's not sad at all. I spent 31 years on the road more or less and never ever took a single needle or pill for pain, it's usually a non narcotic inside the ER when they patch me up expecting to drive that 18 wheeler later that day after they cut me loose. The doctors are more than happy to hear two words. NO NARCOTICS. from me in those days defending my CDL.

A doctor who signs me as safe under current rules to drive with the meds I take is a stupid doctor. Im not going to do it.

Take heed be very careful out there. 18 CDL? NO Narcotics.

This is the only time I will write about this. But that is strictly my life experiences that I can share with you all. At least it will help you understand why I say the things I say.

NavigatorWife and KillingTime Thank this.
  11. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.