USX Orentiation Physcial - Sleep apnea

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Quinn0415, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    This is assuming that the test is performed correctly, but I'm not convinced that will happen. Doctors are jack of all trades master of none.
    Im wondering if, or when we are tested that we don't have to disclose our professions and that its a test that is conducted separate to the DOT physical. Probably not, so who's gonna pay for all of this.
    Talk about one more racket. It's a situation where many of us can be misdiagnosed.
    Dont kid yourself there.
    Because with all the hoopla about this OSA we are going to be labeled as having the condition. Doctors are going to assume we have it, so that's something that is a big concern.
    An unbiased diagnosis is going to be tough to get IMHO.
    Its all about the $$ to the healthcare industry. Profit rules, so it will be interesting if we are offered options as to any treatments.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Amen Big Blue Peter !!

US Xpress uses Concentra to do their medical cards. If the doctor recommends a sleep study.... refuse it. Don't get diagnosed with this "disease". They should give you a form to fill out with a list of symptoms....don't put down you have any of them. If you have 2 or more then you must do a sleep study.

Good luck !

Quinn0415 and Gordon A Thank this.
  4. Quinn0415

Quinn0415 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Thanks for the input truckduo,

I've seen you posting in the US Xpress forum and assume you have some experience with them. I will be in the next Markham orientation and I'm hoping for a 2 year cert, other then being fat I have no other health issues (besides smoking). Is there any advice you can give me for a rookie with US Xpress?

Thanks
    Quinn

5. TruckDuo

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    My advise is read as much as you can on The Truckers Report. I owe our success in this industry to this website. My wife and I knew nothing about trucking before we got into it.

Don't smoke, drink coffee or anything that will raise your blood pressure before you take your physical/medical test at orientation on day 1.

At Markham, they do attendance first then have you go to the next room to begin the physical. Try to get a seat on the far left of the room because thats where the entrance to the next room is at. You want to be first because then once your done with that you do the road test then you can sit around for the rest of the day until everyone else is done. Our orientation classroom had over 30+, we had a lot of downtime on day 1.

The terminal manager at Markham is the one who assigns the trucks. Introduce yourself to him so he hooks you up with a good one.

When is your orietnation ?

Gordon A and Quinn0415 Thank this.
  6. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    In addition to the above information. Which is good info,
    When they put the blood pressure cuff on DO NOT TALK WHILE IT IS BEING TESTED. Talking while it is being tested will raise it as much as 30 points .Usually 20 points but you need it as low as possible. They may ask you questions while testing the BP , don't answer them until finished.. Especially if you tend to have high BP or are a bit overweight. .Also don't drink Any sodas prior to the physical,Nothing with caffine or sweeteners, . Best of luck. Happy motoring.

TruckDuo and Quinn0415 Thank this.
  7. Quinn0415

Quinn0415 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Orientation is on Monday, driving down ourselves Sunday night from WI. Thanks for the tip about the left side of the room, my last orientation I was the last to go and spent all day in a small room waiting.

Another driver said I had to walk like a duck...not sure what that means lol.

Thanks
    Quinn

8. Quinn0415

Quinn0415 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2014
    For me it's my pulse, I get nervous and it just takes off 120 - 130 bpm. My blood pressure has actually been very low for a guy my size (120/70). How are the doctors that do the physical, do they come off as having attitudes like most do?

Thanks
    Quinn

9. Quinn0415

Quinn0415 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2014
    ((Deleted))

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  10. TruckDuo

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Markham doesn't do the duck walk.

The nurses who do the physical are really cool. The doctor is okay, you see him for like a minute.

The road test is really easy. You, the instructor and one other driver from orientation get on I-294 and drive back. You do half of it then the other driver does the other. Once you get back to the terminal you both have to back into a dock. Markham has really easy docks. You can pull up as much as you need. Go into it knowing you'll pass. The only way you'll fail is if you hit something or kill someone. The road testers are checking to see if your a safe driver. They don't expect you to be a good driver.

Gordon A, Quinn0415 and BigBluePeter Thank this.
  11. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Good points you have brought up but as usual I'm very skeptical that BP readings are a good sound indicator of your general health. I know for a fact that my BP can be all over the place on a hour to hour, day to day basis. I think it's a dumb idea to think we should all fall under this premise that our BP should be under 140/90 or there's a problem. I've taken my BP on each arm and got 2 different readings.
    in addition when I go for my physical I refuse the cuff style BP meter. They're totally inaccurate IMHO. I've done some research on this topic. Also you should have your arm at the same level outstretched as your heart to get an accurate reading. If you disagree that's fine but when a MD tells you that, then on the rare occasion, I'm going to listen to his input as he should know. BTW coffee may or may not affect my BP. I've drunk 3 cups in quick succession and my BP hasn't budged from 120/75.
    I'm starting to be very dissatisfied with some of these places that conduct DOT physicals. I think there's many out there that treat us like cattle and are not very competent at what they're doing.
    Caveat emptor

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.