Valassis-Durham, NC

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by atlasshruggery, Jul 10, 2015.

1. atlasshruggery

atlasshruggery Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    This place has the most unpleasent employees I've seen. That is saying something, because I've dealt with some miserable people.
    They have a gate, and you have to use the phone to call in your load and get the gate open. I gave the guy the number provided, he told me that's the wrong number, and hung up.
    So I called my dispatch to get all the p/u, load, etc numbers they had. After another pleasent conversation with Oscar the grouch, I was told to pull up to the side, and wait for a door to come open.
    There was two open doors, so I went in to see if they wanted me in a specific place.
    The forklift operator proceeded to cuss at me, saying they don't load but two ####ing doors anyway. Also They told you to sit on the side anyway, and We got a 2 ovlock coming before you too.
    So apparently from the office guy telling me to pull up and wait for a door I was supposed to infer that he meant wait for the red truck to leave, and that there is another truck scheduled to come before you.
    If people are that miserable with their job, they should do something else. If I was independent I would have drove off and found a different load.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WalterSobchak

WalterSobchak Medium Load Member

May 16, 2014
    Rocky Mount, NC
    You probably caught them on a good day.
    [​IMG]

marineman227 and atlasshruggery Thank this.
  4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Next time something like that happens, walk around front to the main office entrance. Ask the receptionist why this company is such a terrible place to work, as it must be according to the people working on the dock? Tell them how you were treated and ask if this is their standard company line. If it is a national company, let them know you will be putting a comment on Facebook and Yelp.
    You may be sent away with no load, but maybe the next guy will get better treatment. Usually the front office doesn't know how the shipping department treats drivers.

true blue, Grouch and atlasshruggery Thank this.
  5. atlasshruggery

Jun 4, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, no kidding. The two places I went to in the Durham area had really rude people. Possibly the most miserable people of any city in the country. I was really kind of shocked, I am accustomed to southerners generally being more friendly than the rest of the country.
    Buzzard I am too chicken to do that. While I don't doubt it's possible effectiveness, I'm afraid my side might get lost somewhere along the line. On top of that this load was through a broker we use occasionally, and I wouldn't want to jepordize that relationship, especially in an area we don't deal with that much yet.

6. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    The Durham of yesterday was made up of southerners who were friendly but what has happened in the Raleigh-Durham area is that so many transplants from the north and immigrants from other countries have virtually changed the culture in Durham and Raleigh. The "old South" is gone.

7. atlasshruggery

Jun 4, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    I noticed a lot of north eastern accents almost. It's weird how few even mild hint of a southern accent I heard. And I'm from Milwaukee so I'm very sensitive to southern accents, Indiana might as well be mississippi to my Midwestern ears

8. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    I live in Durham. That place may be just a crappy place to work. I think most folks are real friendly around Durham... I am one of those transplants from NJ... been in Durham 23 years though.
    With Duke and UNC, world class health care, and RTP, you have to expect things wohld change from the old tobacco and textile industries.

atlasshruggery Thanks this.
  9. atlasshruggery

Jun 4, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    It was both places I went to, just the second one was horrible. However, you're right, it's not fair to judge a city off of three people.
    The women were prettier than most southern states. So gentrification has its perks!

ncmickey Thanks this.
  10. crazystalin

crazystalin Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2013
    NC
    And that is why I love tankers. People happy to see you and know they being charged each min I am there. If place has jerk I will count each second. From time I get there till I pull out. I never understood why shipper and receivers hate seeing drivers. They here to pick up or delivery crap you ordered. Don't like driver don't order anything. Problem solved.

I like sticker. You hate truckers, stop buying sh.. problem solved.

DannyB Thanks this.
  11. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    When they see a truck pulls into the yard, they see work ahead. What I found over the years and especially 10 years doing local work, the receiver is worse than the shipper. If you are bringing freight in, instead of picking up, then you represent hours of work for the receiver. Shipping is a little different. The shipper view the outbound freight as "work leaving".

true blue and atlasshruggery Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.