Valves not lined up with wheels

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by camionneur, Jun 3, 2015.

1. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    On duals when the hole is here and the valve somewhere else, what's going on, was the wheel simply put on wrong or did it move by itself? And what's the driver supposed to do about it... can't necessarily check its air pressure or change that either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    let me guess steel wheels, right? someone didn't pay attention when they installed wheels. alum with the extra holes will always have access to the valve.

Dye Guardian and flood Thank this.
  4. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    yeah installed wrong. someone was not paying attention. the lug nuts will have to be removed outside rim slid off and clocked to line up the holes. and then lug nuts put back on

5. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Always clock them 180 away from each other,valves won't get in each others way when airing.Also little bit of balance doesn't hurt.Plus when I put them 180,by looking at the outside one,I always know where the inner one will be.Always watch the guys that are putting your wheels on,you'd be surprised how many tire changers nowadays don't know this stuff.

double yellow and truckon Thank this.
  6. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    How do aluminum wheels end up with more holes, isn't steel stronger?

Anyway, I personally can check and fill malaligned valves, since I've come across them enough to do something about it, just making sure it isn't an indication of axle problems before I pat my poor wheel on the back and call it good enough.

7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    But the aluminum is thicker and the holes are smaller.
    NOW, how do you check and fill the hidden valve stem?
    I'll overlook the "axle problem " comment

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  8. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Yeah, but I think it's safe to ask, if mechanics are going to make me wonder about wheels overcomplicating someone's thought process.

Working with hidden valves requires a chuck or gauge to be at a 90 degree angle. Generally I can reach a valve from between the tires that way. Well, it isn't exactly easy to use, but it can be done, and thankfully none have had low pressure (good to know, if you want to go there, a strange game of twister)... depends on the angle of where you have to reach, given how touchy valves are with direct access (try indirect). I suppose a good thump would tell you enough to find a tire shop if necessary.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  9. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    I see, so why no small holes in steel ones (other than for bolts), was that the best they could do with steel?

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    They do make steel wheels like that with the small holes all the way around like aluminum. The thing is it doesn't matter. Valve stems should always be opposing each other from opposite sides. It takes a few seconds to actually LOOK and spin the outside wheel around to the right spot before you set it up on the studs.

tucker and Pedigreed Bulldog Thank this.
  11. 04 LowMax

04 LowMax Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Alberta
    Yes, and like someone said, you have to watch at tire shops every time your in there. If you sit and drink coffee and watch tv you never know whats going on out there. The guys working on your truck in many cases couldn't care less about small details like doing things properly, damaging wheel studs, over/under torquing, they just want to get the job done asap because there are other customers waiting in line, and management is on them to get it done asap. Some tire guys like to zap the wheel nuts on way over and above what they're supposed to be at, then when they go around with the torque wrench, you don't hear a single click because they are way overtightened, stretching the studs. And I do not intend to bash all tire guys here, some have done it a long time, know all the tricks, and do an excellent job. But you never know when you pull in, which one you're going to get.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.