Vehicle with Air Brakes under 26,000 GVWR

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Flying Dutchman, May 28, 2015.

1. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    I have a scenario that some of you on here may be able to shed some light on:

Where I work (in California only), we have a Ford F800 dump truck used to deliver landscape materials to homeowners, small job sites, etc. The delivery radius of this truck does not include any DOT scales nor has it encountered a roadside inspection ever, it is only subject to Highway Patrol and local LE if the driver were to be pulled over for a traffic violation. Specs as follows:
    26,000 max GVWR
    6 spd manual trans
    air brakes
    2 axles - steer axle and drive axle

Primary question: Is there any level of commercial license/air brake endorsement needed to operate this vehicle legally in California?

Other info: a truck of this size can be rented from U-Haul or United Rentals any day of the week with a regular Class C license due to the GVWR, however, those vehicles do not have air brakes. Do the air brakes on this particular vehicle require the need for an air brake endorsement on your license? In the past (10+ years ago), we were told a company-administered air brake knowledge test on file would be sufficient with no modifications to your actual license from the DMV. Extensive googling has yeilded no information to support that claim.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    What does the California DMV/DOT say?

4. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Hey! that like going to the mother lode...

... Philip

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't bother asking the DOT out there. Ask 10 different cops and get 10 different answers. Go to the DMV and talk to them. Air brakes is not an endorsement on a CDL. If you don't have it it will be listed as a restriction. Like having to wear glasses when driving would be a restrtiction. I know that in some cases Ca requires a class "C" CDL. I had to have one many years ago when I drove a delivery van for a package delivery company. Delivered Hazmat sometimes so I had to have a Class C Commericial with the Hazmat endoresement.

6. Flying Dutchman

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    I understand that airbrakes is not an endorsement, but it is a test given when you apply for a CDL. Should a driver for this truck be prepared to obtain a Class C CDL with air brake test completed? Or since the GVWR is under 26,000 (which is the max allowed under a standard Class C license in CA) are the airbrakes overlooked?

I agree with the 10 cops/10 answers statement, that is what sparked this whole conversation at work. There is no info regarding this in any DMV handbook, it is simply not addressed.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I always thought, if the truck has air brakes you need to have air brake endorsement on your license to operate that vehicle. If you have to get a CDL to have a license to get that endorsement. That is what you need to do.

8. Ntrdr101

Ntrdr101 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Hello,

The current California DMV Truckers Handbook states 26,000 gvwr and above requires CDL, anything less and with only 2 axles regardless of airbrakes is a class c.

Hope that helps.

truckon Thanks this.
  9. Ntrdr101

Ntrdr101 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2015
    It is addressed in the California DMV Truckers Handbook.

10. Flying Dutchman

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    Thanks Ntrdr101 I must have overlooked it in both handbooks.

11. ITS62

ITS62 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Any class C driver can drive that truck in CA. There is NO air brake endorsement required for a vehicle under 26,000lbs GVW.

Any commercial vehicle over 10,000lbs GVW IS subject to log books however and current medical IF they have a commercial class A, B or C. Technically you are reaquired to have a medical for ANY commercial vehicle over 10K GVW, commercial CDL or not but all our guys that have non CDL never get pestered on that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.