Vehilce distance reports (states)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mad dog logistics llc, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Mad dog logistics llc

Mad dog logistics llc Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Do all states require Individual Distance Records for every trip? Im in Illinios and every truck needs every trip recorded with trip and distance for every load. I do IFTA with truck GPS it will log states but not every trip. Seems alot of companies are out of Oklahoma what is the benifit. I will pack my bags and get out of this state in heart beat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I've been out of O/Op for years, but 10yrs ago Oklahoma had very cheap tags. You call a company and they would set you up with a P.O. box and register the truck, you save thousand$$. But I was also told other states would give you a hassle. I have no idea how true any of it is though.
    I'm also from IL, and yes they do require individual state reports. I can't speak for other states but its my understanding all states do for auditing purposes, and its a federal tax shared by all states.

4. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I just use my GPS to keep track of Miles traveled in all states. Add up all the fuel and fill out the quarterly IFTA paperwork and send em a check if ones due with it.

5. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Old fashioned way and the way I had to do it when I worked for a contractor.

Remember your routing, write down the odometer mileage at state line crossings and beginning/end of trips.
    Do the math and figure it all up at the end of the week.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I had to do them every state, every trip for IFTA.

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Oklahoma tags were cheap because the crooks that we're getting them were getting them NOT apportioned properly. Putting a lot of miles in cheap states. OK had to give Illinois 35 million. Game over.
    Several people are still in prison.
    Many big company's tag in OK because of no tax on new equipment and trailer tags are $85 one time and $7 a year. But they have yards in OK.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.