violating FCC rules

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by m16ty, Oct 20, 2016.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Has anybody ever been convicted of violating FCC rules? I'm sure somebody has and the penalties are steep but is sure must be rare for anybody to be convicted. Let's face it, 99.9% of all CBs that have been in a CB shop are pushing more than 4 watts.

Back years ago when CBs were really big, I knew some people that were pushing over 2,000 watts. I had a base setup that would talk 30 miles pretty easy and a mobile setup that I could come over the TV in the house sitting in the driveway. Nobody ever got in any sort of trouble but we weren't stupid with them either.

Now I'm just running a well tuned but bone stock Cobra 29. I grew out of the notion that my radio had to be bigger than yours.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    I have heard of people being prosecuted but only in extreme circumstances, they are really not worried about the little guy as long as he is not causing interference of problems.

650cat425, KD9HBC and ExOTR Thank this.
  4. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I new a guy that was running a big base station and lived within rock throwing distance of a church. He had been drinking a few beers on Sunday evening and decided to crank the base up. He ended up coming over the church PA system during service. We all know how a old drunk trucker can get on the CB, it wasn't pretty. Luckily, he knew some members there and they made him aware of the problem and he vowed to never run his setup again while church was in service. I think he also made a formal apology to the church leadership.

When I was right out of high school I worked for a guy that also owned a Honda motorcycle dealership. The local PD had brought in a old police motorcycle to be repaired. Evidently they couldn't get the repair cost approved and that thing sat in the back of the shop for well over a year. One of the mechanics would get on the police radio from time to time and mess with the cops. I'm sure that would have been some big trouble but they never did find out where the signal was coming from.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    650cat425 and ExOTR Thank this.
  5. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    The only time I have ever heard of someone being prosecuted was 10yrs ago when a maxed out cb could bleed over onto a standard tv's audio feed. These days, unless you're pushing enough wattage to distort aircraft or military bands I doubt the FCC would ever care. Memphis has had the guy trying to sell drugs for the past 20yrs on CB, by now I'm guessing it has to a police setup, but he is pushing more than 5 watts...

650cat425 Thanks this.
  6. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    What about the guys on the bowl taking coast to coast and the good time gang on Channel 28 they run kws of power

650cat425 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You are more likely to see some of the power utilities go after someone for illegal power taps to run 15 kw or even 10 kw than you will see someone busters by the FCC.

650cat425, Ougigoug and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Speaking of which, one of those guys is contemplating selling his 10kw station to finance a new Harley Davidson Street Glide.
    [​IMG]

slim6596 Thanks this.
  9. slim6596

slim6596 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Check out the new engines. I'm sort of regretting buying my used 2019 Ultra Limited now.

10. Inthedark

Inthedark Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2016
    springfield MO
    In Springfield MO there was a college student at MSU who ran a pirate FM channel to play underground bands 14 hours a day.

It's the only instance that I know where the authorities triangulated the signal to locate, confiscate, and later prosecuted that individual.

I miss that station....

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.