Virtual Reality, in the sleeper? Oh yeah!

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by OriginalBigfoot, Jan 30, 2016.

1. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Well if you're one of the lucky few who have gotten AT&T's new unlimited everything plan and have a Note 5 or S6 Galaxy phone, you gotta check out Samsung's Gear VR! And at only $99, it's a steal!

Forgetting about the games and stuff, I use mine for Netflix. Holy Popcorn Batman! This thing is like being in the movie theater!! If you turn your head, you can even see the seats on the side and behind you! I have literally done everything imaginable to watch movies in my truck over the years, but none so fantastic at such a small price! This thing is freaking amazing, and the best part is, you can lay down and get completely comfortable and immersed in the movie!

If you're wondering about the data. My UNLIMITED data plan as they call it is really 25GB of 4G or LTE before it throttles to 3G for 25GB and then 2G for the rest. Good news is, Netflix uses good compression on their streaming service, so after the first month and about 30 movies, I have used only 5GB. Keep in mind, I also use Smart Truck Route GPS probably 10 hours a day, and I go on Facebook and the Internet, so I don't think data is going to be a problem unless I start using the games, which I doubt.

Anyway, if you have a Note 5 or S6, give this a shot! You'll be glad you did!!

rachi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    30 movies within 5Gb???
    Doesn't add up to me... but ok.

How much is this new plan from AT&T?

4. OriginalBigfoot

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, 25 to 30. It's a new plan, I forgot the name, but there's no more contract and you pay a flat $50/mo. I got the plan and a new Note 5 financed at $24/mo which somehow comes out to $104/mo. Don't know how they got to that number. They must use common core math :)

5. OriginalBigfoot

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I only pay $52 total because my son works for AT&T.

6. OriginalBigfoot

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh yeah, and you can upgrade to any phone every 18 months at no charge. You just keep paying the monthly fee.

7. OriginalBigfoot

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    By the way, I also noticed a HUGE difference in data usage since switching from Verizon to AT&T. One movie on Verizon would use 1GB of data. One movie on ATT and my data usage barely registers.

8. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    $50+$24=$104... Must be lots of taxes and fees
    (Common Core Math... Ha... Made me laugh)

I live in the Apple ecosystem but in need of a different data plan... I am looking at T-mobile's unlimited plan for like $80 ... 7-8gb can be used as a hot stop at full speed...

Looking to add a Tablet with them as my iPhone with Verizon is only $15/mo for voice and text... But their data is too pricey for now.

I will go look at AT&T's website and check this option out too.

9. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    They might be converting the data like T-Mobile does with their binge plan. Watch everything you want from certain providers and its converted from HD to something less but on a small screen it doesn't matter as much.

10. OriginalBigfoot

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Could be, but whatever they're doing, I'm using a fraction of the data I was using before.

11. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    And that's a good thing for us Uber Mobile customers!!!

OriginalBigfoot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.