VNL 780 Low Beam Headlight Right open circuit

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bonous, Jun 23, 2015.

1. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Good morning all,
    I need your expertise and experience. I ran through a big pot of water under an overpass in Houston, Tx a few weeks ago, a few days later my righ headlight went out then came back on after a few hours. About a day later it went out and still out. I have the error message "low beam headlight right open circuit" I have physically checked the wires I don't see any break in the line. I took the light bulb from the right and placed in the left headlight and it's good. I have been reading some post were some say it's the LCM. Before I spend money on LCM. Has anyone had this issue with VNL 780 and how did you fixed it? Also if anyone can point me to the right direction what else to look at I will appreciate it.
    Lastly if I buy an LCM from a newer Volvo is it plug and play or will I need some type of programming?
    Thank you all for your time and help in advance, be safe!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    doesn't sound like the LCM
    I would start with a power tester and start checking all the plugs

as far as the LCM it will need to be reprogramed for your truck new or used....things like does your truck have fog/driving lights did the doner truck have them...? things like that need to be programed of they don't work...

bonous Thanks this.
  4. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Ok, I will pick up a DC power tester and check all the connections. I'll post the result when I find the problem.
    Thanks a lot Flood!

5. dmick1954

dmick1954 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Bartow, FL
    Check the connector for the bulb. Make sure it isn't melted on the inside. You may have to replace the connector.

bonous Thanks this.
  6. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Did you check the fuse? Water in the connection could have caused a short, blown fuse = open circuit.

bonous Thanks this.
  7. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Yes I found a bad wire from the connector to the right headlight, fix it and it's all good now. Thanks Dmick and Alaska for your help!

flood Thanks this.
  8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    good deal

bonous Thanks this.
  9. Volvoguy48

Volvoguy48 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I

10. RoadRanger^^

RoadRanger^^ Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Hello to everyone.
    I have Volvo VNL 670, Year:2011
    Last week i was driving somewhere in upstate NY and it was raining a lot. Noticed today my right headlight(passeneger side) only low beam don’t work. Can you help me somehow or where should i look to fix it. No Codes on dashboard. Thank you

11. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Have you had the truck since it was new..? Someone may have change the settings in the lcm.
    1st check the diagnostic in the dash for the lcm.
    then check the bulb.
    Your lcm my be bad

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.