Volt meter issue

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Milechaser, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Milechaser

Milechaser Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Campobello, SC.
    I drive a company truck, a 2015 International Prostar. For the past month and a half, every so few days, the volt meter will spike up to about 15.5 volts, warning light comes on, and alarm sounds also. Company has had me take it to the Petro once, and also a dealership, and both places said they couldn't find any issues. I would appreciate any info on what could be causing this problem. Thxs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    15 volts is #### good. I'll take it.

usually the problem goes the other way sinking to 9 volts then all the computer crap quits.

4. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    Suggestions ~
    Bad regulator or
    A loose conection or
    A bad / cracked wire .
    First check that the connections are tight,
    Then if you have a multimeter hook it up and with engine running twist / shake / move the wires around while watching the meter and see if the voltage jumps.

Milechaser Thanks this.
  5. Milechaser

Milechaser Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Campobello, SC.
    Thanks for the info, will check it out tomorrow AM, before I start driving.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I chased the same issue on an old pickup of mine for months (wasn't a daily driver, only worked on it when I had some motivation). Voltmeter would randomly peg out at max. Drove around with voltmeter attached to battery and would only read 14.4 at battery. Thought for sure my dash cluster was buggered. Couldn't bring myself to just throw parts at it. One day I had my ohmmeter out and was checking resistance in my battery cables. Everything looked good until I gave the frame ground a wiggle. Boom 80 ohms! Pulled the cable and cut it open. Rotten in the center. It would make contact fine until the engine torqued up when you tromped on it. Basically the moral of the story is start with the basics. 99% of the time its a simple fix. Check and make sure your battery, alternator and starter cables are clean and in good shape. If that's good, get alternator tested. If that checks out, test the voltmeter on the dash (not sure if the Prostar has a true voltmeter or just displays what the computer tells it to).

Heavyd Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im guessing that if it is not a analogue volt meter, a old fashioned gauge then the computer tells it what number to show.

The tidbit about rotten cables is a remembering for me. It's great these small things are brought up.

8. Chris50

Chris50 Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    I had an issue a few years ago with my volt gauge reading 15+ volts. Turned out one of the + connections in the battery box was touching the battery box cover while bumping down the road. It was a +connector from a breaker for my APU ,not one of the main cables, but it was attached to the main wiring.. Got lucky and found it on my own. Secured wire with zipstraps and no more 15+v.

9. DavidK57918

DavidK57918 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2021

10. DavidK57918

DavidK57918 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2021
    First check the fuses, then check the terminal connection , if they're fine, check the main post solenoid , mines was located on the top right corner inside the battery box. The connection was tight, but when I wiggled the wires, (had the door open to hear any peeps) the dashboard went haywire for a second.
    The seloniod connection wires were loose on the inside of the main post seloniod.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.