Volvo d12 fuel problems makeing the engine stall out

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by BiggO, Feb 2, 2012.

1. BiggO

BiggO Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    I have VE D12 i almost ran out of fuel the other day but was able to make to the truck stop before it died on me. I put in about 30 gallons and the drove about 30 mins and the truck just died out on me. The truck said i had about 20g in the tank but i had my son bring me another 15g anyways. I engauge the prime pump and it turned on and ran for about 4-5 mins the died again. I called the dealer and they told me my primiar pump was probley bad so i changed it out, along with the filter. I flicked the switch for the primer pump and it turned right on and ran for 15mins and then died again. I checked the fuel filter and it was empthy so i filled it and put it back on and it did the same thing. I did this a couple of time each time it did the same thing but everytime I took off the filter you could hear a buildup of air being released by the 5-6 time it wasn't release any more air and I got it to where it would stay runing for about 45 mins and then died i got a moblie guy to come out and check it out and he by pass the tanks a hooked up a fitting dircetly to the fuel pump and put the other end inside a 5g jug of diesel and it did the same thing. So he figured it was the Fuel Filter Base Assembly. I got the new one in today and put it on and Its doing the same thing but this time it's only running for about 5 mins before it stalls out. Also i put back on the original fuel pump and took the new one back and right before it's about to die the computer is saying mechanical failure in Inj # 1 and Low fuel Pressure. I've been down all week and Im about to losse my MIND. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

2. vangtransport

vangtransport Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you are getting air into the fuel system somehow. I know there is a overflow valve that if faulty will have some of the same symptoms. I have also seen where injector cups caused some of the same codes. I would post this again and ask for Pablo-UA to respond. he seems to know quite a bit about Volvo's.

BiggO Thanks this.
  3. Damage

Damage Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    We have had terrible problems with these engines pushing air into the fuel system. Every one of them that I have fixed, it was the injector coppers/cups. Have you checked for fuel in the surge tank?

4. fourwinds

fourwinds Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    We are having same issue - 2008 - VNL670 - D13 - truck drives with no issues and then it just dies. No codes. Anyone with this issue? Any recommendations? Volvo Mechanics don't know what to look for.

Draft saved Draft deleted