Volvo D13

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by NorCenArk, Jan 24, 2016.

1. NorCenArk

NorCenArk Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Russellville, AR
    It seems Volvo had problems with injectors going bad. Does anybody know if the injector problem has been corrected in the 2016 year models?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    2014 they corrected allot of the issue supposedly with the cups failing which caused most of the failures.
    However, the '17 motors have went to different injectors....common rail.

4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Volvo has had this problem for years since probably early 2000 I would say, it's almost become common pratice to do one set of cups in the trucks lifetime, they tried to do some changes in 2010 with changing from copper to stainless steel cup but same #### just different symptom, it's to early still for anyone to tell you if they took care of it in the 16 models. I know they have gotten a lot better since 09 but i don't know if it's taken care off. they went from d12d usually needing cups around 800K to now the d13 i see, about 400 or 500K u need a set of cups and injectors so they went kind of backwards on that. im sure eventually they will figure something out, that's they only problem they seem to really have, they rest has been working out pretty well.

5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    One of the additional big changes they made was on the install of the cups to get a better, more durable seal.

The other long term problem is shop cleanliness during the replacement procedure.

Very small amounts of contamination can cause dramatically shorter lifespan with an injector that sees 35,000 psi injection pressures.

Fuel filtration is another issue. Many people run inferior filtration levels for high pressure injection. It is critical to filter to 5um or less for durability.....and not nominal filtration, it needs to be absolute. Many aftermarket filters do not meet this requirement.

If you run a Davco, you're better off with a 7 or 10um prefilter and more frequent changes vs running a 25 or 50um big screen of a filter. The factory Volvo secondary fuel filter is 5um but could be improved if they went to a 3um Donaldson media.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.