Volvo electrical issues

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by reddemon71, Feb 5, 2008.

1. reddemon71

reddemon71 Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    I see alot of truckers talking about electrical issues on these Volvo's, Does this include the 2004,2005 model years also? I'm wanting to buy a 2005 volvo but kinda hesitant now after seeing all the remarks.

2. D16

D16 Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    Have mine for 1.5 years.Actually not experienced any serious electrical problem.ECM just report any faults at display.I believe if Peterbilt or KW,Western Star had same display on dashboard,they would have same "electrical issues".:biggrin_25525:

3. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe that electrical display is having issues :yes2557:

4. Sandlapper

Sandlapper Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    The problems are with the D-13 Volvo Engine. I think the problem is with the EGR valve. The newer models have a recall on the cooling system and the computer's parameters. To be honest I see more Freightliners on the side of the road with the hood up than I see Volvos in a similar situation. In an 04 or 05 model I would go with the Cummins. I think they quit using Detroits in 03.

5. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    i worked for a company with Volvos, many had dash readout probs, minor stuff. They are well built trucks

6. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    It's all minor when you aren't paying for it

7. cumminsvolvotech

cumminsvolvotech Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    The majority of electrical issues are caused by loose or dirty battery / ground (block, frame, starter, etc..) cables. CLEAN AND TIGHTEN YOUR BATTERY CABLES!!!! I can't stress this enough!

Who and The Challenger Thank this.
  8. AntonD

AntonD Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    Iam also having problem with my 2005 Volvo VNL780, it all started with a flickering headlight then dashboard lights. Telltales started to show different fault problems then the radio, A/C, dashboard gauges is also getting crazy.I need help cummins volvo tech

thanks

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Thanks Received:
    See post above yours. Sounds like you lost chassis ground or the hot. An 1/8 of a turn and some corrosion under the nut/bolt is enough. It started with the headlights flickering because it uses the most juice.

Check the hot at the starter by actually putting a wrench on it. In the dark, you might see sparks at the nut while cranking the starter if it's a hair loose.

The same with chassis grounds. Use a wrench, not your eyes. Follow off the battery to the frame. Then check the ground strap under the hood.

Last, check the hot at the jumper block under the hood. Then check the main hot at the fuse block.

Ignore the fault codes for the time being, because there are low voltage and high voltage faults that can be triggered from a bad connection.

After you have checked all the connections with no luck, then have diagnostics run on it.

10. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    all Version-II, VN, FH, FM. But with d13a and D9B more problems

Draft saved Draft deleted