Volvo high voltage problem

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Fidus, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Fidus

Fidus Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Franklin Park, IL
    i have a 2006 volvo vnl670 with an ISX. Lately my cluster started acting up. The display part will lose lighting and voltage will raise to 24v!! At that point the high battery voltage warning comes on and sometimes ecu maintanance will come on as well. Once i got pissed off and hit the dashboard and everything started working again which made me come to the conclusion that it is not the alternator (which is new by the way). When i hit the dashboard the voltage gradually comes back down to 14.1 and all warning lights go off. I thought it must be a rubbed wire somewhere so i took the dash apart and started digging. No luck. Anyone ever had a similar problem?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I would check the ground cable going to the frame from the battery. Then I would check the ecu wire going to the positive on probably the first battery. Also, clean and tighten all connections including the inline fuse. This typically solves most electrical issues on the Volvo I drive.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    2nd this. I had an old pickup that did that. Voltage at the battery was only 13.5 but my voltmeter would peg out at 18. Ended up being some rot in the ground cable off the battery. $30 for a new cable and life was good.

5. Fidus

Fidus Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Franklin Park, IL
    Still found no solution but cluster cuts in and out on bumps. Funny story, so its 3:30am on i94 and I am driving through Chicagos not so greatest neighborhoods and i get pulled over for a roadside inspection. Now Illinois State Police has increased their patrols throughout the city because of the amout of shootings going on within the highways. (Truck driver got shot as a random victim not long ago). My cluster went out in Ohio and did not come back up. I was nervous thinking the cop will write me up since my entire cluster is a black abyss. As the state trooper approches my truck i punch the cluster with my fist and my entire cluster lights up like a christmas tree. I pass the inspection with flying colors :) i get back on the highway and my cluster shuts off. Someone from upstairs was looking out for me. The state police is supposed to have a larger presence to keep the citizens of Chicago safe, instead all they do is pull trucks over all night long. I drive mostly at night and there are always a boat load of trucks getting inspected at 2-3am

HopeOverMope and Volvo8873 Thank this.
  6. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    What level of inspection? I've been pulling a few loads down to the Chicago area at night lately.

7. Fidus

Fidus Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Franklin Park, IL
    Level 3

8. CoyoteExpress

CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
    Check the hole harnse from ghe altinator to batt. Ceep a extra eye on the 3. Small cable

9. cumminskid123

cumminskid123 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Manitoba, Canada
    dumb question maybe, but does your upper rad hose have a slight drip/leak at the thermostat housing? If coolant drips onto the alternator it does funny things.

10. Fidus

Fidus Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Franklin Park, IL
    No it does not. The alternator is brand new and the votage coming out of it is good.

11. ryanbob1

ryanbob1 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2016
    do you get any codes if there's any that say Data Link ...... defiantly try this if not still try it,
    isolate the truck go to the left side of the motor on the black wiring harness (under intake manifold)there's 3 or 4 plugs about 4'' long with yellow clips on them grab the yellow clips pull them out and pull the plug straight out and spray some contact cleaner or CRC in the plug and spray the pin side drain off any excess push the plug straight back in Be Careful though and try that

these plugs pretty much control the whole vehicle problems with the transmission can be caused by these plugs ''many things can happen''

Fidus Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.