volvo trucks

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by hobnob, Jul 21, 2011.

1. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

Bill do you know the cost of the towing coverage?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Not off the top of my head. But it didn't add much as I know if was a no brainer when looking at it. And my full policy is at home and now remember to that I forgot to scan it. Getting way too much paper in truck.

But call Gabe at CM Brown (www.cmbrown.net) and he will be able to tell you what the rider is. They are based in MO so I know they can qoute for you.

BigJohn54 Thanks this.
  4. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    we Just got 6 new flat top volovs at my work with that dpf system. If they are anything like the kw with the dpf that we got last year, they will be ok. But in 09 we got 3 kw with a dpf that are always breaking. I do believe a lot of it is due to the drivers being idiots but that's another story for another day LOL

5. Malerose

Malerose Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Medford Oregon
    Given a choice I will first buy a Paccar product, KW first Pete second, after that, its all down hill.

6. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Volvo Trucks are NOT owned or built by the same company that builds the cars... used to be but that's ancient history.

Regarding spending $15K on repairs each year... I hit that # last year after doing an in-frame on my CAT but have not even gotten anywhere close to that figure any other year since 1999.

My accountant actually called me several years ago and wanted a more accurate figure for repair bills since the $1200.00 figure I gave him couldn't be accurate...it was. I usually never exceed $5K in repairs each year... and that number is probably high. But my truck only has 1,679,000 miles on it so it's pretty low mileage.

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That's really good. I'm only in my second year at this. I count oil/filters routine stuff along with surprise stuff in my totals. There's been time I spent money that was probably unnecessary. I've made mistakes. I had to replace a cracked head two weeks after I started. Complete brake job including drums, s cams.I've practically rebuilt the truck. 1.02 million and runs like a champ. I had a lot of bugs to get out. Most guys would have went under. I put 10 New tires on in February. I have finally gotten to the point where I can drive several weeks without having to buy parts to fix or have something fixed. I got screwed on a clutch job and that ended up having to be done again. A/c is finally right after much aggravation. I can do oil changes and minor repairs but for clutches, or AC I done have a clue or the tools. The most difficult part for me has been making contacts with repair shops that fix it right and don't rip me off. Ive finally managed that. But not before getting ripped a few times.. oh well, you gotta learn somehow

8. michaelbunt

michaelbunt Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Ragland, Al
    I just bought an 07 Volvo 670, it has a cummins engine in it, I had it dynoed and completely tested, oil test and everything, I was told that the Volvo engines are the worst, am I in for maintenece nightmare???

9. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    first off. volvo is not the only one who can fix volvo!!! if it is a engine electrical issue then maybe but if you are bringing your truck into volvo dealers for a wiper assembly then you need to give your head a shake instead of complaining... every dealership is busy as hell, not just volvo.

dealerships pay their mechanics the least amount of money generally so don't be fooled to thinking they have the best techs. they have the just graduated and need to learn techs.

don't just buy parts at volvo, alot of them can cross to parts from other heavy truck parts stores. case and point, my friend blew a turbo and was about to buy one from volvo for a stupid price but I said forget that, call a holset turbo dealer. he did and got it half the price.

people think volvo is the worst brand because of resale value after. that's not true, the resale is so low because volvo is so good.... they are so good that all the mega carriers have bought thousands for years and years and made money hand over fist but then they trade them in a thousand at a time. 5 dealers in one city have tones of volvo and one or 2 Petes on their lots so to compete they must mark down the price of the used volvo on their lot so you buy from them instead if down the road. supply and demand, over supply. same as what happened with the price of oil.

10. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Maybe you have bad luck eith your truck. I had volvo with d12 engine 465hp made 1.6million miles before first rebuilt. There are no bad or good trucks. There are only people who do good or bad maintenance to them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    InmanFreight and dustinbrock Thank this.
  11. Confused

Confused Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2009
    somewhere else
    $20,000 In 2 years that's not bad I've spent that much this year alone on repairs.
    My truck is an 08 with only 600,000 miles on it and not including maintenence I've spent over $70,000 in repairs In the 5 1/2 yrs that I've owned it.
    A bunch of the repairs are being redone for the second and third time.
    Last week I spent over $4500 on 2 airbags, starter (4th starter in the time I've owned it ) radiator Thanks to the plastic crap they use. Leveling valve for front axle, wiring harness for headlights, front brake airlines replaced due to them rubbing on tyres when turning wheel, and a couple of leaking air couplings replaced. That cost doesn't include the 4 new Yokohama drive tyres I bought.
    Now that's repairs just 1 week in July.
    My repair list is long .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.