W900 air leak only when driving

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by redgod7, Feb 2, 2015.

1. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    It's not a bad job, about 100.00 in parts. You need to drain antifreeze. Pull line going to tanks 1st and check for oily residue. If oily, rings are bad and time to exchange. Yes the compressor gets it's air from the head, when under a load you are losing boost through compressor and Unloader valve will let it escape through purge valve. Good luck.

bigguns and redgod7 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redgod7

redgod7 Light Load Member

May 18, 2013
    Detroit, MI
    Sorry for not reposting my findings until now but you know how it is trying to make that money. Anyway I went ahead and replaced the governor first. That didn't fix it. The problem kept getting worse to to the point purge valve would stay open even at idle. If I smack it it seemed to stop so I put a purge valve in it. That didn't fix it. Finally I heard a leak coming from the compressor area s I soaked it in soap water and it was coming out the unloader valve cover plate. So I put a new unloader valve in it. The new one looked like a new design with thicker seals. Well that did it. It's been trouble free since then.

4. mario 1156

mario 1156 Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Miami FL
    I have a similar problem. i loose air is the secondary tank, but only when the truck is running. if i shut the truck off at the moment the dryer kicks it will stay at 120psi for a while. I just replace the air dryer and the problem continues the compressor was replace 11 month ago as well as the governor. Any ideas?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.