W900A headlight upgrades

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by ParkerFly, Jul 16, 2015.

1. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    I recently purchased a '78 W900A and the only problem I've really had with it is the headlights aren't very bright at all. Are there any upgrades that are made for these older model trucks that I can try out? I do a lot of night driving and not on interstates so I need better lighting at times. Thanks for any help,

Justin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Many possible upgrades, starting with simply relaying the existing headlights.

Many times poor headlight performance is the result of beancounters choosing the wiring sizes etc used. Vehicle power when running is in the 13.5-14.2 range. With crap wiring and plugs that are worse as it gets older power at the headlights can be under 12v. A 5% loss of voltage can cost you 20% in lighting. Any vehicle I have owned that had crap lighting got rewired and relayed. 12 ga wire, heavy duty plugs, 40 amp relays as close to the headlights as I can get them. Run the supply power from either the starter or the alternator. existing power wires are used to control the relays. You'd be stunned just how much better your existing lights are after doing this upgrade.

Next up if you still want more than the wiring relay upgrades is replacing the headlights themselves.

A good "composite" housing with newer bulbs will literally get you day during the night. I prefer Euro lens patterns because of the very sharp cutoff line on low beam. And its a plug and play other than changing the pigtails for each lamp.

4. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    You can get what I got for my truck, a 32inch light bar mounted on my visor above my windshield.
    The thing is so bright I have been pulled over and told to turn it off, its not illegal but its just that offensive. haha
    I used mine in the oil fields. Mounted on a separate switch.
    You could get a smaller light bar. Like a 20 inch and mount it lower and you will be fine. Point it about 20 yards in-front and problem solved.

I have had a level one by Jimmy Ticket in MT. And he said its ok as long as its not ON. hahaha
    But when I go to bfe its the difference between a deer and no deer.
    what I got.

Attached Files:

5. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in replacing the housing with aftermarket ones but just not sure what I'd get into there. Honestly I haven't looked that close at what I've got but it looks like they're kind of "made" into the hood. I'd rather not do any hacking and would probably relay and rewire what I've got. If I do that I may just do a lightbar like georgeandson mentioned. I hadn't considered that but I imagine if I got it and treated it just like bright lights and turned it off as I met traffic I'd be fine. That may be a lot easier than changing housings. Thanks again.

6. KeithT1967

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    W9A is equipped with quad 5.75" sealed beams. Replacement composite housings are designed as a direct replacement but use a modern capsule bulb.. 9004, 9005, 9007 are the most common. There is no "hacking" involved.

7. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    Is there any particular place I should look for those? Google doesn't give me much other than junk yards selling factory bulbs. Thanks

8. KeithT1967

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    amazon.com, search 5 3/4 headlights. I'd link the one I think are best but last time I did that I got lectured.

9. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    I run the United Pacific Crystal headlights in the 6x4 configuration on my Pete and absolutely love them. They're good and bright, it does help if you keep the road grime washed off of them you may be able to notice it, but they are leaps and bounds above a regular halogen light. Your local KW or Pete dealer should have or be able to get them for you. Here's a link to the web page and part # for your 5&3/4" headlights. You'll be pretty happy with these unless you want to make the jump and go to LED's.

http://www.uapac.com/antique/headlights/headlight-bulbs/5-3-4-crystal-headlight-round-boxed.html

10. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys, you've been a ton of help. I think I'm going to get some of the updated housings.

11. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Check the voltage supplied to the lights and the voltage reading between the ground on lights and frame. Power loose equals dim lights.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.