w900l,blower fan white wire melted out of the switch,

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by temperature rising, May 17, 2016.

1. temperature rising

temperature rising Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2013
    the white wire in my fan switch cluster keeps getting very hot and stays hot when I put new switch in ,now it has melted second switch, HELP

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    When a switch goes bad it can cause excessive heat. That heat can transfer to the wires and cause them to have a high level of resistance. Wires like that are usually hard, discolored, and the insulation usually shows signs of over heating. Then when the switch is replaced the wire resistance generates heat and damages the new switch. That portion of wire must also be replaced and be sure you do not have an excessive load-current draw.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    How does the short pigtail that connects to the 3 speed switch look. If I were you I would change the switch. short pigtail, resistor, and blower motor all at one time. It isn't hard or really expensive if you shop for the parts. The short pigtail will probably need to be bought at KW. Do not reinstall the HVAC control panel after everything is changed. Turn the blower on high. Grasp the sides of the 3 speed switch. If it stays cool you are good to go. If it gets hot you still have a high draw somewhere. After thought. When changing the blower motor spin it and the new one. Is there any difference between the two?

5. kwcam

kwcam Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2012
    at the shop
    That white wire is the ground, check the other end where it connects to the ground stud behind the tach/speedo cluster on the firewall stud, sometimes it comes loose.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.