W900L excessive hood shake

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by oneperfectrun, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Does the hood stay pretty still going over bridges at speed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Patronas01

Patronas01 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2014
    California

Then the only thing left is the hood. You said you had to weld some of the hood braces, why don't you take a closer look at those braces, and also see if they have been separated from the hood. It seems you cover everything else so that's the only thing left that i can thing of.

4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    look real close under the front of hood. toward the top corners. the ribbing for the hoods has a tendency to crack letting the hood dance like yours does. those metton hoods are junk in my opinion. if you have the $$$ get a jones hood.

black_dog106 Thanks this.
  5. oneperfectrun

oneperfectrun Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    Its better at road speeds but it still shakes some on bridges and dips and such. It's aweful at low speeds on rough streets and lots.

6. oneperfectrun

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    I didn't realize at the time the hood was metton. I used fiberglass resin and cloth to repair the cracks I found. The resin holding great so far but I'm not sure now that's what I should have used.

One if my first thoughts also was to check to see if the hood itself was separating from the bracing. I've not found anywhere that it is. I'm gonna look at it more tomorrow.

Theres gotta be somewhere that it's giving and/or flexing.

7. oneperfectrun

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    It was cracked slightly in both corners at top of hood right in front of firewall. Repaired those.

I think whenever I find the weak spot it's gonna be up at front of hood around grill area or the forward brace. I've stiffened the hood a lot but it's still shaking as bad as ever.

New hood isnt really in the cards right now but I'd love to have one. Just built a new shop (metal building) and in the middle of building the interior for living in part of it.

8. oneperfectrun

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    I appreciate you guys taking the time to think about it and reply. I'm open to any ideas that will help me get it right.

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    fiberglass resin wont hold for long on those metton hoods. buy the (glue) they sell for those hoods. it comes in a twin tube pack and will setup when mixed together. it actually melts the plastic when contact is made.

10. oneperfectrun

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    After I'd repaired the cracks I was surfing around and realized it was actually metton. I did a little google searching and found a video of the two part stuff you are talking about. Sure wish I'd saw that video earlier.

11. oneperfectrun

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    Front shocks were about a set and a half of steer tires old. While I had hood tilted over looking it over Thursday I noticed the passenger side steer axle shock had a little oil starting to form about halfway down the bottom half of shock. Replaced all 6 shocks this afternoon. Fronts are easy but those back 4 were boogers!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.