Walmart.. who was it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by dca, Sep 22, 2016.

1. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Someone started a thread on this subject awhile back, who was it?

any further comments, thoughts plans or idea's?

20160922_122012-1.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I think it was in the Swift forum; no joke. I'd like to know, as well.

dca Thanks this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    U don't get it. Walmarts always hiring....hear their ads all the time hell one of them driver came up to me trying to recruit me!!

Upright Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I never understood the current efforts Walmart is putting forth to attract drivers that we've seen in the last 36-48 months. Something is going on.

Used to be, Walmart NEVER advertised for drivers. They relied on their impeccable reputation to attract quality drivers who were looking for a permanent place to call home, and to make a good living, and build a retirement nest ... and they were always able to keep their seats filled. Now, Walmart has more or less reached full national saturation (several years ago) and now they are having problems getting enough drivers????

Something does not compute. Maybe they have raised the strict standards of new hires and current hires, to such an unreasonable level, that their own ever-increasing and demanding policies are pushing their drivers out of the pool faster then they can bring them in?

Or maybe they're experiencing the same problems with mass-retirements like the airlines recently endured. This sort of makes sense. Walmart really began to boom in the mid-90's, today those 30-40 year old drivers who signed on then, are now approaching 60 years of age. And given their high standards (that I assume still exist) they will have to get thousands of applications in to keep up just with current retirement exits every quarter.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If I had a GM DC near my current home, I might apply. But honestly, I doubt I'd be happy there given what I know about them, but for most of the younger drivers who have a family, I imagine it would be a great opportunity if they could meet their standards.

dca Thanks this.
  7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Don't think it's walmart, but the industry. Most people don't do otr for life.

dca, G13Tomcat and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  8. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    So true...

dca Thanks this.
  9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I think those wal mart drivers have pretty good jobs and used to have a neighbor that drove for them who made very good money but he was barely home for a 34 and back at it again .
    I don't do well in structured environments so I don't think I'd be happy there .

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I was with a carrier that was contracted with them back in 2008. That was an easy and laid back job. The only bad thing with having a career there; I heard stories they would not mind to fire people getting close to their retirement age for whatever excuse. That was a rumor of the day. Imagine, you're 60 and kiss goodbye to your pension, compensation and reputation. But, nonetheless and despite all these unwarranted stories, If I was offered a job from them back then, I'd jump at it in a heartbeat.

dca Thanks this.
  11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    met a O/O (not a L/P op) at a wm dc a little more then a few year's back, 10 maybe, during a seasonal rush. I asked him a few questions, he didn't come across as the social type or one to work for wm and all business, he had a brand new pete he said he bought in South Dakota prior to wm, he was there for the seasonal work, made it home every day, would return to whatever he was doing when the season ended.

said he and his wife opened up office to start a brokage. after this conversation I rarely saw him again, when I did he wouldnt speak much.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    SpiritLink and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.