Want to avoid getting burned by a lease-purchase agreement?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by rookietrucker, Dec 13, 2009.

1. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Short version, if you don't know anything about business, don't get into business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLCRACKER

FLCRACKER Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Lorida, FL
    Quality carriers is NOT owned by Celadon, Quality Equipment is

4. TruckerPig

TruckerPig Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    I read the post about how a lease driver isn't an owner-op, and the don't sign a lease thing and all the other warnings from those of you who have been in this a long time.

I got my CDL 2 1/2 years ago at age 56 after my wife became totally disabled and landed in a nursing home from MS. I didn't want to stay home alone anymore, was pretty much broke from letting my own business fall apart while I tried to save my wife, and no one wanted to hire a 56 year old with very few 'modern day' skills... no one except the trucking industry that is. And thank God for that.

But her illness once more caused me to have to leave the company I was with (Maverick) and now after being out of trucking for just 6 short months, it seems all the companies are discouraging the hiring of company drivers by offering practically nothing for that position and talking up lease programs.

I'm 58. I've been in business for myself before. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that the only way to make any of these lease programs even come CLOSE to paying anything worthwhile is to NEVER COME HOME! You HAVE to hit 3000 miles a week! You HAVE to learn to edit your e-logs to scrape every minute out of every day. You have to be staring at the clock as it ticks down the last seconds of your breaks so you can haul ### out of there to make every second count.

But some of us with little or no experience haven't got a choice. Although there is ad after ad screaming "WE NEED DRIVERS NOW!!" when you talk to these people the options suck and lease programs are pushed.

It's the nature of the beast now... and it's too bad.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    That is unfortunate, TruckerPig. But, not all carriers push lease purchase programs.

6. wolf98

wolf98 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2013
    bowling green, ky
    When I spoke with them they said their name was quality carriers and that they are owned by Celadon. I appreciate your reply. I no longer need any of these lease programs. My bank decided to take a chance on me and gave me a loan for a truck.

7. wolf98

wolf98 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2013
    bowling green, ky
    thank so much I didn't know that is what they were. Just keep seeing and hearing ads about them.

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    It is nearly always best to secure your own financing rather than using dealer financing or doing a lease purchase. j

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Dealer financing isn't bad. Assuming we are talking about the manufacturers financing such as paccar and daimlerchrysler.

10. wolf98

wolf98 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2013
    bowling green, ky
    my bank turned me down and I don't want to end up paying over 100k for a 2009 anything that's only worth 34k. I either get financed by a dealer or do a lease purchase deal. those are my only options.

11. wolf98

wolf98 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2013
    bowling green, ky
    nope we are talking like Kenworth, Volvo, or freightliner type deal. I will be dealing with KW though because I want the 2017 T680 they have for 2500 per month instead of the 695 weekly payments plus fixed costs of 375 weekly. the lease operator stuff costs 695 weekly plus those fixed costs and the dealership locally is offering everything included even maintenance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.