want to break into the industry

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by losthighway36, Jul 16, 2016.

1. losthighway36

losthighway36 Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2016
    mineral point pa
    Be gentle this is my first post. I have been lurking around the forums for a few months and decided to join. Anyway here goes, I'm 36 already have my dot med card and permit from pa. The catch is that I just got my car licence back in October of 2015. Child support issues due to stupidity on my part. That is resolved now. Now I have applied to a lot of the starter companies like prime swift and Wiltrans. They have all told me to wait till I have had my licence a yr. Any hope of getting out there sooner. Being a temp sucks at a dead end job. I'm ready to uproot my life and make a change. Any help is greatly appreciated

george stanley and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Keep the applications going and maybe hit it lucky.
    Carolina Logistics
    MCT Transportation
    CRST
    Roehl Transport
    Celadon
    Southern Refrigerated Transport
    Millis Transfer
    Knight Transportation
    Jim Palmer Trucking

Check these out and if you still must wait until October, you have many more choices.

4. Jbushnell1987

Jbushnell1987 Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Carrollton, GA

If you want to stay local, try going to Pepsi. In Florida, I knew I lot of guys that started at Pepsi as merchandisers and worked their way up to drivers. They pay for your CDL training and test you just have to sign an agreement with them. Or you could try local beer companies to see if they are willing to train for CDL. You would have to start inside their warehouse though. The only downfall is that you probably won't be driving a stick and will more than likely be in an automatic which really hurts if you want to go down the road to a better company and they usually require you know how to drive at least a 10 speed. I went to truck driving school and hated it. 6000 dollars for three weeks of training. Never went OTR went straight to Pepsi.

5. george stanley

george stanley Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2016
    henderson,nv
    im 56 , my drug possesion charge is 7 years old and looking to drive local around las vegas

6. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    Part of me is surprised that those companies are telling you to wait a year. I would totally understand if your license was suspended due to traffic violations, but child support? That seems a little harsh.....

7. losthighway36

Jul 16, 2016
    mineral point pa
    I know but its only until october. I figure ive waited this long. And why not get my first winter out of the way while training if possible. I know my first winter solo will be white knuckle fever

8. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    Yup, I hear ya. My first will be this coming winter. I am definitely nervous about it.

9. losthighway36

Jul 16, 2016
    mineral point pa
    I've already taken the saying you can go down a mountain thousands of times too slow, but one time too fast to heart...

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try Sygma Network; they hire drivers that only have a permit. Then it's OJT as a driver helper.

11. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    This is ridiculous. Most companies will NOT hold a child support suspension against you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.