Want to haul fuel locally....

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Wild Murphy, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    Hey guys, I have 26 months OTR experience pulling a van. I want to go local now and am interested in hauling fuel. I do not have any endorsements yet but I am sure I need to get tanker and hazmat. My MVR is spotless and so is my background. Do I have the qualifications to get a decent job? Should I get endorsements right now while applying for jobs or apply and get when hired. I'm in East Tennessee looking to work in the Cleveland area. Hoping to find day hours. Not sure what hours fuel haulers work... would love to start early say 5am till whenever. any advice is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Doubt you'll get hired without having the endorsements. How much experience you'll need, and what shift you get, will really honestly depend on how bad they are hurting for drivers. I work for a fuel hauling company in STL and they won't hire anyone with under 3 years experience but I doubt all are like that. Look into Pilot/Flying J or Loves maybe? Hope you're not getting into it for the money, because it's not there

Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    One option to get your foot in the door is places that run A and B tanks, like onsite fuel companies. Kath oil, diesel dogs, ect...

Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  5. Wild Murphy

Mar 25, 2014
    Yea, I need those endorsements first.

6. Wild Murphy

Mar 25, 2014
    I was hoping to fuel farms and such. I think They use B tanks around here for that.

7. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Get the DMV manual and study for a day or two. Then take a day off, take the tests and get your fingerprints and background check done. You have plenty of experience driving. Any company out here in CA would hire you on the spot. As far as day shift, you MAY get lucky but more than likely you'll have to run the night shift at first. The further you are from the rack, the slimmer the chance the day start time would be 4-5 am. Day shift for us was 130-2 am. At another yard, they had 3 racks all within 15-30 minutes away so they started around 4 depending on how badly the customer needed fuel. I've done both shifts. I started and did days for 3 years. I then switched to nights. I will say for a new driver, nights are WAY easier. The stress of getting into a TIGHT station in San Francisco during peak day hours is tremendous. Working at night the racks are quiet, less traffic, and no cars at a station. Your personal life suffers but your blood pressure stays lower working nights.

Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    go for it and if you are in the farming environment try seed, feed and fertilizer to get a little tanker experience.

Rubberduckin Thanks this.
  9. polytrucker

polytrucker Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Garden Grove Ca
    Get the endorsements first always good to have them. Also apply for your TWIC card same time your applying for HM. You get a discount if done online , kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Good luck!

Rubberduckin and Wild Murphy Thank this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Or look for other tanker jobs that don't require hazmat.

I'm sure there's food plants that need their waste water hauled somewhere.

I'm not sure about all types of products. As far as i know, oil pays the best but they've all gotten a wage cut recently. A lot of tanker companies are hiring right now in utah because of the wage cuts. My brother in law hauls oil and took a $75 pay cut per load. Or per day. As it takes them 1 day to haul 1 load. I haul 2 loads of waste water sludge and make only $25 less per day. I've never used my hazmat and don't even know why i still have it. Advertised jobs don't even ask for it. But if i drop it. Sure as crap advertised jobs will start asking for it.

Rubberduckin Thanks this.
  11. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    In Chicago you would start overnights usually Thurs - Monday. As you gain seniority, you might get a weekend night off and after about 5 years you might be able to get on days, but still work weekends. Fuel delivers 24/7 365.

Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.