Warning: Edmonton Cops Fining Truckers

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Runawayscreaming, Feb 6, 2016.

1. minirack

minirack Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2016
    Depends where you live. Check your local laws if you want to park at your house. Where I'm from you can have a peterbilt with a bulldozer on a lowboy parked in your yard with goats roaming around it and nobody can say jack about it, drive a few miles down the road and try it and you're getting a visit from smokey bear.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Could be bylaw, municipal and county. Only reason why your allowed to go down a non truck route is if you have a delivery and no other way to get there. Like delivering to a construction site.

Prairie Boy Thanks this.
  4. wildduece

wildduece Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Olds Alberta Canada
    Ok. Best advice is check your bylaws.

5. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Bylaws forbid it unless your are making a pick-up or delivery.

6. Runawayscreaming

Runawayscreaming Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Amiskwaciy Waskahikan
    Postscript

Pointers for drivers/victims:

1. Read the law under which the ticket was issued. The cops who issued the ticket may not have read the law or perhaps they do not expect you to read it. Municipal bylaws are often available for free online. Provincial Highway Traffic Acts are all available for free online.

2. Not fighting an unlawful ticket just encourages municipalities to use truck drivers as a source of revenue. The low-wage anarchy and lawlessness in trucking is already bad enough without truck drivers being suckered into paying unlawful fines.

At considerable cost to myself I went to court and fought the fine I was issued. I felt like I was representing all the beleaguered truck drivers who could not afford a day in court. If you are being issued unavoidable fines in the course of your employment I encourage you to spend the money and fight them in court. Win or lose you will discourage such sleazy forms of government revenue collection just by showing up in court.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.