Warning: New Trucks with Bad Coax!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by NBSR, Oct 3, 2015.

1. NBSR

NBSR Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2015
    I've been in the radio business for a long time. The reason I got started was because I was tired of seeing my friends who drive for a living get ripped off with all the tune up, super tune up, modulator install garbage that was sold to them for hard earned cash. My old standard line was: "they should get colon cancer for what they are doing to drivers". Well a couple of them did get the dreaded big "C", so I stopped saying it, out loud that is.

I am not hear to promote myself or sell anything. I just want to get the word out of some real bad, brand new trucks, just out of the box, with bad coax. I am not going to mention any manufacture's name and going to apply this universally. Change the coax now! I have had a number of new big radios #### the bed so badly that you will be doing yourself a favor if you do this.

The mosfets used today are no where near as bullet proof as the old BJTs. Back in the day you could be a tart and talk for a month on a bad antenna/coax (I exaggerate here, but for emphasis) before your radio crapped out. Not anymore! And now the trouble is voltage feedback that is so bad that both finals, the driver, the audio amp and the voltage regulator all get taken out. What's the problem: dead short at the PL-259! I've met up with more drivers in brand new trucks and it is the same thing: bad coax and connectors. And if they lucky, their VSWRs are only 10:1.

Now I promised myself not to go into my tirade about dual antennas and 18 feet of coax and how downright ####ty they are, so just do yourself a favor, if you have a new truck, change the coax. And after that, when you make your last and first payment to the taxman in April, change out the stud and coax. It's just good radio PM and outside of buying the latest and greatest, your radio will last a very long time.

Be safe.

Turbo-T and EZ Money Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Pretty well-known about the new trucks having junk coax. And don't get me started on those stupid multiplexers. At least the ProStar coax goes straight from the CB to the antenna(s), unlike, well, every other truck on the market now.

4. NBSR

NBSR Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Not to argue, but it is beyond junk, they're just bad. A lot of people don't realize it and I just wanted to get it out there to as many as possible. Spread the word.

5. volvo244t

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Yeah I get that.

And in the ProStar, if it has twin antennas, instead of a proper co-phase harness, it's spliced RG-58...and the runs are of unequal length. Yikes...

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't know, I just bought a second brand new truck - Mack - and it has Belden coax. Ripping it out doesn't make much sense especially when the losses according to my little HP transmission line test thingy shows less losses with this new truck than my pickup truck's Scorpion antenna. I put in a Cobra 29XLR in the truck an talked to my wife 18 miles form me until she got to the storage yard, the radio was tuned up to factory specs by the way.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. volvo244t

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Unsurprising, considering Mack's primary customer base. Lots of Mack dump trucks, and those guys are often required to have a CB in good working order.

Freightliner couldn't care less, and it shows.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  8. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    Once your radio is hooked up, The very first thing to do is check the SWR with an external meter. Do not run your mouth on the CB radio until you have a SWR reading below 3. Why?
    .Because a reading of 3 or higher on an external SWR meter can cause the final amplification circuit to degrade and damage your radio. What you think is being transmitted is mostly being reflected back to the radio and beating up your amplification circuit or "finals". This circuit will degrade to an absence of an final amplifiction of your signal. Without being amplified, your radio will work across the truckstop parking lot [maybe] but not be worth spit on the road.
    .There are 3 possible causes: A- bad coax, B- bad antenna or C- bad or faulty antenna ground. For both A&B the solution is simple. If you can borrow from a friend a section of known good coax of the proper resistance and a known good antenna, one at a time, substitute a known good component and recheck your SWR. If necessary substitute the other possibility with a known good component and, again, recheck your SWR with an external meter.
    .If neither the coax nor antenna is the problem, that leaves the antenna ground plane as the only possible solution. Do a search on "Antenna Ground Plane" in this the CB radio forum. This has been covered to death in great detail.

mike5511 Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    A couple few things that come to mind about this subject.

First thing is how does someone test coax in the CB world? I mean that unless there is access to a few pieces of equipment like say a TDR or a VNA, then how?A continuity test isn't showing degrading dielectric issues within the coax.

The second thing is how does one determine other than putting grounds everywhere to produce an RF ground?

As for the SWR meter, I've had a few bad ones in the past, even a bird slug that gave far off readings on low (reflective) power. The best one was a Lafayette meter that was built in kit form in 1968, it seems to be the best one yet other than the antenna analyser, Diawa, HP and military meters. So how does one know when they are bad?

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Would a dipole setup not solve this issue?

11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Over the years some of the best performing radios have been stock right out of the box with no modifications using factory coaxial cable on a brand new truck with factory antennas. The guys that seem to have most of the problems are the ones that spend big money for big radios and big fancy antennas from radio technicians that don't have a clue what they are doing. I agree on plastic trucks like Kenworth t2000 and Peterbilt 387 the factory antenna system leaves much to be desired but I have never encountered a direct short in a brand new piece of cable.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.