Warranty Answers

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Belials, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Your service manager is making you do SL cases for anything with codes? He'd rather take the $50 hit if you don't follow the proper steps prior to opening a case?

We don't open too many SL cases. Usually when we do it's to get expert programming, or for the times that we're required to open them. Aside from that, there's not many SL cases for us.

Not to mention that SL doesn't determine what's warranty anyway...they just tell you how to fix it properly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Hi belials,

I just found this thread.

I'm a lease operator at a large company right now, and am looking to purchase my first new truck to go full O/O later this year elsewhere.

I love my 579 and am looking to get another.

A few questions,

1.) I saw that the new MX engines are coming with 7 year/700,000 mile warranties. Is this standard, or extended?
    Also, can you give us any insight on whether you feel this is PACCAR having confidence in their engines or just a selling tactic to keep people from shying away from the MX?

2.) I'm noticing that PACCAR seems to be pushing these new engines on the industry; by that I mean, I'm noticing that 9 out of every 10 trucks on a dealers lot are MX engines. It's almost as if they are forcing you to go through the hassle of special order and wait if you want a truck specced with a cummins. Can you comment on this at all?

4. Thed302

Thed302 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2014
    USA
    1) First I've heard of it, but it'd be extended if true. It's just marketing, just another way to get more people to buy their engines. Don't look any deeper than that.

2) They push more Paccars because they sell more Paccars. It's the option that more and more companies are going with for line haul and vocational trucks. It's what more people want, so the dealers order more of them for their stock. There was a rumor going around that KW and PB force dealers to order three Paccar-equipped trucks for every two Cummins-equipped trucks. That's just completely false.

5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The million dollar question is what is included in that extended warranty?

6. Belials

Jun 10, 2014
    1) Never once heard of a 7 year, 700,000 mile standard warranty. Currently the highest extended warranty is 5 year, 500,000 miles so I would say that you're hearing rumors. If they plan to release an extended warranty option for purchase that increases it to 7 year, 700k I have not yet heard that.

2) Thed302 is correct. They sell more Paccars. It's their engine, so they're making a push to sell it, and they're doing a good job. A lot of people like the MX engine and the MX engine has good support. It's becoming more and more popular.

The extended warranty includes almost everything on the engine, with few exceptions. But of course it depends on what extended you purchase. Aftertreatment / Comprehensive both have their own coverage's. Comprehensive doesn't cover the aftertreatment side and vice versa.

If you were to buy MX extended, but only buy one of them, you're really just wasting money. However if you buy both, you're looking at having about 99% of your engine covered. There's little things that won't be - a fan belt tensioner, for example, isn't covered. All major components will be, #### near all, if not all, sensors will be covered.

If you're ever curious, just as your dealership to give you a copy of the MX extended coverage sheet. It goes over essentially everything. It's a "Quick Reference Guide" and not meant to be all inclusive, but it should give you everything you need to know.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  7. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    So for a O/O thinking off getting a MX you would advise buying the extended warranties?

8. Belials

Jun 10, 2014
    How many miles per year do you plan on doing? In almost all cases, I would advise anyone to buy the extended warranties, they can be expensive but they usually pay for themselves in the long run.

secorp and daf105paccar Thank this.
  9. Thed302

Thed302 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2014
    USA
    Hear here.

10. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013

A little searching turned up my answer, which I'm surprised you hadn't heard of.
    For those interested:

https://engines.paccar.com/parts-services/

According to paccar it's only a major components warranty, however...still far from rumor.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  11. Belials

Jun 10, 2014
    I stand corrected. I just looked in to this and you are right. I've never actually seen anyone with it, which may be why I have never seen it. Even on our Extended Coverages pricing sheet, it's separated from the rest of them a bit, with it's own title. Pretty easy to skip over.

spectacle13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.