Warranty Answers

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Belials, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    What's the last six of your VIN, and the current mileage on the truck? You can PM me the information if you're uncomfortable providing the VIN publicly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Belials

Jun 10, 2014
    Woops, forgot to login.

What's the last six of your VIN? Also, the current mileage on the truck? You can PM me the information if you're uncomfortable posting the VIN publicly.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Garyk

Garyk Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2016
    269739 212,000 miles

6. Belials

Jun 10, 2014
    Okay, I took a look at your truck. Let me give you a quick rundown before I go into more detail.

Your truck went into service on 8/15/14 and is currently at 22 months in service.
    You have 212,000 miles on the truck
    The standard, base Peterbilt chassis warranty is 12 months / 100,000 miles
    The standard, base Cummins engine warranty is 24 months / 250,000 miles.

You are currently outside of your Peterbilt base warranty, but you are still within your Cummins base warranty.
    You currently have 2 extended Cummins warranties - Protection Plan 1 and Aftertreatment. PP1 covers items like your Cam, EGR Cooler, Water pump. Aftertreatment covers items like your NOx sensors, SCR, Aftertreatment Injectors.

The important thing I have to mention is that you do not have Peterbilt extended warranty. If you are having electrical issues in your dash, that would be a chassis side issue. You are 10 months and 112,000 miles outside of your warranty.

The only thing that could possibly be done is you can ask the repairing dealer to ask their Peterbilt representative for goodwill. They may refuse goodwill or they may tell you they'll help out some. It can range from 0% to 100%. Maybe they'll decide to cover labor, or just parts. Or half of both, or half of the one, or maybe a specific amount.

A major thing they look for, and Cummins does the same thing with their goodwill system, is how long the truck has been outside of warranty, and if the customer has purchased extended warranty. In your case, your truck has been outside of warranty for a long time and you did not purchase extended [Peterbilt] warranty.

The Peterbilt representatives like to see a customer who has "helped themselves" per se, by trying to protect themselves by buying warranties, as opposed to not buying the warranty and then asking for help when something which would have been covered if they did purchase it, fails.

That is the only item of advice I can give you, and that if you buy anymore trucks, buy warranty on the chassis. They often pay for themselves.

secorp Thanks this.
  7. Garyk

Garyk Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2016

8. Garyk

Garyk Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Ok thanks thats kinda what i figured. Funny thing is i just learned of the chassis warranty from another guy whose truck was in the shop. It was never mentioned or offered. Oh well...back in the shop again as the first 5G couldnt get it fixed. Pathetic in my opinion for a 260G truck. Thanks for the info.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    @Belials

Looking at buying a truck here.
    VIN last 6 = 335440
    Engine serial 79853807

Any known issues with this unit? Thank you

10. Belials

Jun 10, 2014
    9 months in service
    I don't see a single claim filed for it on either the Peterbilt side or the Cummins side.
    Ontario truck, correct?

11. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
  12. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    How much warranty is already bought on this unit?

13. Belials

Jun 10, 2014
    If there has ever been a repair done to it , it wasn't under warranty.

• Truckers Report Jobs