Water in Exhaust

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Cruisser, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Cruisser

Cruisser Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Aberdeen, SD
    I am posting this for a friend. He bought a new Volvo this year and has water pouring out of this exhaust all the time. It runs out the exhaust joints. His dealer says this is normal so he asked him to show him other new trucks that were doing it....and he couldn't...just said it was normal.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas, advice?

Wiley.Coyote Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    Did he speak Russian?

4. Cruisser

Cruisser Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Aberdeen, SD
    LOL no Russian....he doesn't even drink Vodka.....he's american born and raised.
    I wonder what a truck that produces this much water would bring on the market in California?

Wiley.Coyote Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I would expect to see some water since water should be a by-product of proper combustion. Not sure what your definition of "pouring out" is though.

Cruisser and Wiley.Coyote Thank this.
  6. Wiley.Coyote

Wiley.Coyote Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Phoenix Az
    Normal..National Organization for
    Reform of Marijuana laws.

7. Cruisser

Cruisser Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Aberdeen, SD
    I know he is planning on drilling a hole in the bottom of the exhaust and measuring how much water is produced, so we will both find out what "pouring out" is once he does this.

He has been a truck driver for over 40 years, I know he is not big on exaggerating a problem. If he says its not normal I believe him. He is very disapointed to say the least. His Volvo is brand new and has an automatic transmission. He pulls doubles on a 100 mile gravel haul and the transmission does not shift correctly, so he has to shift it in the manual mode. The dealer says he can't change any shifting settings as it voids the warrenty. He likes a clean rig, but its covered with goo because of the liquid dripping out of his exhaust all over his tanks. The dealer tells him to live with it...that's just normal.

I can't imagine spending that much money and then having no support from your dealer and more problems then you had with a million mile truck.

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Sounds like it is time to go over the dealer's head to Volvo customer service. People tend to not like it when they get my boot prints on their scalps.

I would also take it to another dealer, this one is obviously full of idiots.

9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    These engines require air to run. The humidity in the air doesn't just disappear. It goes through your engine. Most of the time, the exhaust stays hot enough to carry it out as steam. However, with all the regen crap on these newer trucks, that may not be the case. If the exhaust is cool enough, the steam will condense inside the pipes and come out as water. You see this all the time on cars and pickups.

I would be inclined to wonder why the exhaust is running that cool. I thought the whole regen concept required higher exhaust gas temps to do it's job? I've never driven a truck with the new crap on it. So, I'm unsure.

Cruisser Thanks this.
  10. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I'm going to have to call BS on some of that. First where is it coming out? Which joint? Where is he located? The exhaust runs after the turbo around 400 degrees. Thru the Dpf somewhere around 350 out the stack in the 200-250. During a regent the Dpf inlet is around 600 thru the dpf around 940-960 and out the stack 800. If he is in a cold climate then his exhaust will cool faster and condensation will result. But should dry up pretty quick. If is is coming out of the bottom of the dpf or the joint going into the scr catalyst might be def. Look for white crystals. Now for the transmission shifting issue. He has the Ishift so depending on his gear selector depends of which available shifting programs he has available. If he has the basic shifter he has 4 programs available. If he has deluxe he has about 11. Some the service department at his dealer may know a few they most likely don't. Best way to tell is if he has an E/P button behind the selector. If itbis on the dash look for the same button. Let me know what is wrong with the shifting he has now and what he is looking for and I will see what program part number he wants. Also need to know what shifter he has.

Cruisser Thanks this.
  11. Cruisser

Cruisser Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Aberdeen, SD
    Thanks guys for your excellent comments.

I agree that the exhaust has to be cooling significantly to have a water problem like this. For it to be this extreme I am assuming the humidity must be high. He is located in South Dakota. I will give you more info once I have talked to him again and he has had a chance to do the test of drilling a hole and putting a container there to catch the water. I am in the same boat you are....I have never had to deal with a new truck yet. Both the owner and dealer agree its not DEF as this would leave a white residue. Originally he thought that this was the problem,but he also is not burning an excessive amount of DEF.

I will find out more about his shifting issue. I believe the problem is his truck shifts to a higher gear to quickly. He is pulling doubles with approx 120,000 loaded, so the truck needs to shift at a higher RPM to handle this. If I remember, he dos have some sort of button on the side of his shifter, I thinkl its located on a console next to his seat.

I will try to get more info on this soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.