Watkins Shepard review from a newbie team

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Midnightrider909, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    My wife and I selected Watkins Shepard as our first company out of truck driving school because they were the only company that did not require us to split up and be trained by a stranger for 8 weeks before getting our own truck. We went to orientation /training in Missoula Montana starting in April of 2014 and it lasted 2 weeks. I thought the training was excellent, especially Kelby and at the end of our two weeks we were handed the keys to a Freightliner with an automatic transmission and only 14,000 miles on the odometer. We started off at $0.31 a mile split and by the time we quit at the one-year mark we were up to $0.44 a mile split. Our average monthly mileage for the year was about 17,000 miles and we went home for probably about 4 to 5 days each month. We probably could have made more if we had never gone home as they give you bonuses for staying out longer. My only real complaint about Watkins & Shepard is that they screwed us out of our tuition reimbursement. They claimed that our receipt for paying tuition with cash at Community College wasn't good enough for them which was total BS but not having to go out on the road and be "trained" by strangers for 2 months was worth losing out on the bonus. Both of us had driven before in the past and we were confident we could handle it without having somebody hold our hand for 8 weeks. If you are new drivers that are not very confident in your skills you may want to look elsewhere but for us this was the perfect fit. They have terminals all over the country and you can get lots of miles if you're proactive and let the dispatchers know you will be in their area and when. They were just bought out by Snider and from what I can tell nothing has changed so I thought I would give my thumbs up to this company as they treated us well and we were able to get a year of experience driving an almost new tractor. The trailers though can be quite old and you may have to learn a few tricks on adjusting your tandems. Dispatch support was pretty good and the shop support was excellent.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    .31 a mile...SPLIT?

4. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    yeah that was May of 2015 when we got $0.31 a mile. It went up to $0.35 a mile the next month because they gave everybody a raise. There was also some bonuses for fuel mileage that you could get or if you attend if you stay out longer than two weeks they give you a bonus for that each extra week.

5. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is
    I was really happy driving for them as a solo from 2010 to 2012. Had it not been for my dad passing in 2011 and then my mom taking ill in 2012, I'm betting I'd still be there. Once I got to know everyone and learned the "system" (pretty quickly) the miles were great. (I stayed out months at a time) I also went to a community collage but paid by check. Can't see much difference there but they paid me $100 a month towards the tuition without question. Obviously since I had to leave I didn't get it all back but I'm sure I would have.

The guys (and gal) in the Helena shop were, and are like family to me. Being a mechanic most of my life and aiming to be an OO, I asked them if I could pick their brains about trucks. They said sure and it wasn't long after that I was getting dirty right along side them. LOL

I have no idea what changes have been, or might be made by the buyout but I sure do miss the folks there. :)

TST65 Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Congrats on doing your year. Where are you off to now? Somebody that gave you an instant $0.10/ mile raise each no doubt. Lot's of company will roll out the red carpet for teams.

7. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    We went to Secured Land Transport. We got about a 30% pay increase and we're driving about half as many miles.

8. Henley

Henley Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    I couldn't get tuition reimbursement when I hired on at WKSH, either. Same reason, I had paid cash for my school.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.