"We think the brakes failed."

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by farmboy73, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Brakes don't 'go out'. They either weren't set or were seriously out of adjustment

Badmon, RustyBolt, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    He probably only had spring brakes on one drive axle...which is fairly common. It isn't unheard of for a loaded truck to roll down a hill with only the tractor brakes set in that case, and it happened to a guy I used to work with (causing a change in policy at the kiln where it occurred which increased loading times since we were no longer allowed to pull off the scale out from under the silo to go inside and get out paperwork while the next truck pulled in to get loaded. The springs get weak with time, and don't quite hold as well, leading to a roll-off like that if loaded heavy and parked on a hill. Simple solution is to pop BOTH the yellow AND the red valve when parking on a hill, because the trailer will typically have spring brakes on both axles. Instead of having 1 axle trying to hold the load, you'll have 3. If the driver only set the spring brakes on the tractor, it is partially his fault with the equipment bearing some of the blame. He may have been parking the truck in that manner for YEARS before the springs were worn out enough to not hold that one time...expensive lesson to learn.

The other possibility is that he parked it using the hand valve without setting any spring brakes at all. If the valve released on it's own, or if air pressure leaked off while the truck was parked, it'll roll away. If THIS is what happened, the driver will probably be out of a job because it is 100% driver error. The hand valve IS NOT a parking brake.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Classic excuse. Brakes went out, pffft. ( like bent bumpers that are caused by the "mystery deer")

mountaingote Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Or the truck was a POS and all the park chamber springs were broken.

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    If there was a problem with the spring brakes, a proper pre trip would of discovered that. No matter how you slice it, this one is all on the driver.

mountaingote Thanks this.
  7. chico9696

chico9696 Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    USA
    "The company was able to remove the truck quickly and return it to Volunteer Equipment’s parking lot."

Yeah, I bet they were.....

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  8. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    darned Macks......

9. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Sad. Once in our town a semi-truck had parked up the hill from a convenience store, about 1200 feet or so. It rolled off of the hill and into the west side of the convenience store. He had left it our of gear and did not put on the park brakes, he had not been driving very long. Thankfully no one was injured

10. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Some years ago, I drove a 26' box truck w/ab, delivering appliances for Sears. I had been assigned to training a new helper for the day. This particular day was chilly so I decided to keep the truck idling at stops. Fourth stop has a moderately steep downgrade drive, it's a bit long no big deal, back down drive set brakes, throw it into neutral proceed with delivery. My permanent helper and I were finishing up installing appliance, we send the new guy out to close the doors on the truck and wait. I was gathering signatures, and helper cleaning up. Suddenly the has is shaking hard with a loud kaboom, being a vet my first thought was claymore. Gathering our wits, we find a big white box truck in the middle of the rec room and a very white black man in the passenger seat. Turns out he was curious about the big button on the dash and decided to see what it was.

Big Don and White_Knuckle_Newbie Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.