Weak engine brake on MXS Acert

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by SAR, Aug 29, 2016.

1. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    06 Pete 379 mxs Acert
    500,000 miles

Today I noticed when I use my engine brake on high it is weak and doesn't sound right. It will do it with the engine hot or cold. Sometimes it works good next time it is weak. When it works good I have 25-30 lbs boost.

It is a three stage and it does work low, med, and high. When it is acting up on high and I switch to low and med it changes cylinders like it should but when on all three you can tell something is wrong.

I don't have a cel light on or any fault codes. Am I looking at a electrical problem, such as a loose wire or bad solenoid, or could it be mechanical? I haven't had time to pull off valve covers but what are some things I can check under there? Other then the intermittent engine brake issue the engine sounds and runs good.

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 07shaker

07shaker Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Tx
    Have you checked your oil? We have one guy that regularly comes in for an oil change and his oil is always way low. Same engine as yours. When his oil is low like that the jakes hardly work. Fill it back up and it works just fine.

4. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Yes it is between full and add last I checked.

5. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Update: I think I may have found my problem. I got time today to take off the valve covers and inspect the plugs. The very rear jake solenoid plug had parts of the plastic missing and had both connections open to each other.

I will add some photos. Luckily I had a spare plug in my side box cause I've had to replace a few Iva solenoid plugs as well. I think this winter I will get both harnesses and replace them.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

E model Cat man Thanks this.
  6. E model Cat man

E model Cat man Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Northern Maine
    These had the worst setup and always are a problem weather it be the vva wiring, injector wiring, jake wiring, or oil running out of the main plugins on the valve cover spacer. glad you found the problem

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.