weigh station?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by homesick, Jun 8, 2009.

1. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    The only x-ray scanners i've come across are at the international borders and the moblile ones they occasionally set up at DOT checkpoints. I ask the CHP officer at the Dunnigan Insp. Fac. on the s/b side of I-5 what those metal sensors just before the weigh platform were for and he said they are radiation detectors and don't emit harmful radiation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. usedtire

usedtire Light Load Member

May 15, 2009
    NJ
    Yes they are for brakes,high temp or hot is good brakes,cool or warm=worned brakes,just something they can start with,then they pull you in for inspection,check adjustments,worn pads.Inferred image

4. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    The ones in NM, Az are past the scales. One is on the right side, with the left side several hundred feet past the first one looking at the left side. I would take pictures of it, but I may never be heard from again if I do.

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    the infrared cameras they use for brake checks are small. about the size of a medium suitcase. Not the big dual detectors he's talking about

6. Brickhauler

Brickhauler Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Elizabeth CO
    I asked one time and was told they are radiation detectors. There is a pretty big underground storage area down there for radioactive waste. If I remember right I think he said near Carlsbad. There are a lot of trucks carrying radioactive stuff to the site and they are looking for leaks. Since its in New Mexico, they are probably broken 99% of the time.

7. RAMPAGE

RAMPAGE Light Load Member

May 26, 2009
    Everywhere, U.S.A.
    In a nut shell it's a way to write you up and make you spend extra money before you have to. They will say your brakes are worn out when really they are not.

8. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    No matter what they are looking for the devices are passive and will not hurt you. They are not like x-ray that have a source or mri that uses a magnetic field. They detect what the material is giving off. If they are looking for explosives they will be sniffing for nitrates. If they are looking for radiation then they will be detecting neutrons. NM should have the detectors for radiation since there's some quantity always moving through there. Of course a dog could do better with explosives and drugs but you'd have to find a person to stand there with the dog and we know there's no chance of that.

9. IdahoPhil

IdahoPhil Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    So I wonder how much radiation I was exposed to in the Air Force working around nuclear-armed buffs and in the weapon storage areas? My kids all have the right amount of toes and fingers, so I guess I'm safe. :biggrin_2552:

10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

Very minimal. I worked doing the maintenance on those very same items that went into the BUFF's plus more. The Navy had some very hot ones compared to the gravity bombs. The only radiation that you could have been exposed to was neutron radiation and that wasn't very much unless you were like I was and had you hands right there inside the weapon case. If you didn't have a record of ionizing radiation in your health record then your exposure was nil.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.