wel companies

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by wwfd1220, Mar 26, 2009.

1. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    I will be honest and say the cal run is my first 3000 but I've been gettin 2200-2800 avg but I really make money on the stop becuz I've had like 7 loads with more than 5 stops. But most of the exp guys tell me they get 3000-3500 but they say they know how to play with the loose leaf logs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

Kewl. Well, I've played with a few logs on occasion. Sometimes I make mistakes on the original ya know.

:biggrin_255:

4. Vrscdx-Guy

Vrscdx-Guy Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Hello, I'm about to go to Wel Companies orientation and I was just curious about one thing. On the website they mention "per diem allowance". Do they pay a per diem? If so, how much? Do they give you any supplies such as log book case for loose leaf logs?

5. wellgolf

wellgolf Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Boise
    I see you have a lot of loads with many stops, what kind of frieght are you hauling ?

6. wellgolf

wellgolf Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Boise
    So Taylor where you been? I was hoping for a update on how you time with WEL is going.

7. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    my time with wel was good. the put me on southeast regional and its been lovely. i would highly reccomend working for wel. the only reason i stop workin is because i got a local job wit my pops haulin gas, and im home by 3:00 everyday and i make an awful lot more money. but as for wel they have plenty of freight and i was never layed over so so dont work for them if u cant run super hard cuz they will run the wheels off ur truck, as long as u can play with ur log book or books if ur like me lol but any ?s lemme know

wellgolf Thanks this.
  8. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    glad everything worked out for you man, and thanks for all the info you posted..

GP

9. lazygecko

lazygecko Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks for posting Taylor.. I have been looking for info on WEL and this helps alot. I only live about 20 minutes from Green Bay, and have an inside referral with them, looks like I have a job when my CDL schooling is done.

Couple q's: You had been calling yourself a "student driver" from what I gather they were at one time affiliated (or litterally were) Midwest Driver Development. Did you get your CDL through them? If so did MDD just stop opperating? If you call the number for MDD it goes right to WEL phone banks.

How long were you typically out during your training runs? and time home between runs? I am willing to run hard, just trying to realistically know what to expect. Are you always originating out of Green Bay?

might be stupid q's, but I am a newb to driving. any other info on bene's etc greatly appreciated.. THX

10. Dubwise

Dubwise Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Anyone have any more info on WEL--it's hard to find any info on this company on this site. What is orientation like? I got my CDL in December 09 and haven't been in a truck since. I'm a bit worried about my shifting skills which weren't the greatest to begin with. The recruiter told me the road test was after the 6 weeks of training. Is that true? TaylorMade407 said there was a road test during orientation. Thanks for any info anyone can post.

11. lazygecko

lazygecko Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Green Bay, WI
    I am a 3 1/2 week old hire in training with WEL right now. my shifting skills were not great, as I went to a 2 week CDL mill for my schooling. The "orientation check ride" is about 2 blocks, with one stop, one turn and then backing a 45 into a dock. I ground a few gears, and even snubbed it when taking off... no problem. My trainer is more than "laid back". after a day, my shifting skills improved, and we started team driving, so the wheels on this truck almost never stop moving. Dont worry about your trainer not "helping you" though... he is there when I need him.

As for WEL itself, I have been impressed, everyone in the office is easy to get along with, they give us the miles and the equipment is always kept up. The trucks all have Tri-pac APU's, although they dont have a built in inverter, WEL allows up to a 3000 watt inverter in the truck, so you can have a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, etc at your convenience.

I have not had to touch frieght once, about 1/2 our loads are drop and hook, but comchecks are issued for lumpers when needed. they do pay for driver lumping if you want to do it. pay is decent, bene's are good.

The Per diem is 10c for the guy that asked previously. I just use a three ring binder for my logs, but will be going e-logs when I go solo in a couple weeks.

oh nice referal bonus too, so if you are gonna sign on with WEL, PM me for my info first... and I will give you a cut of my referal bonus :)

Dubwise Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.