wel companies

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by wwfd1220, Mar 26, 2009.

1. dn2713

dn2713 Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2010
    jamestown ky
    any bodt know anything about wel company

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dubwise

Dubwise Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Hi Lazygecko and thanks for all the info. I tried to send you a private message but since I'm new on the board it's saying I'm not allowed to. Well, I am glad you like the company--seems like the good companies are few and far between. I am at the beginning stages of working with the recruiter--hopefully they'll take me. I would be happy to use your name as a referral. Extra money is always good! If you can send me a PM with your name that would be good. After training will you go OTR or regional? I'm in MASS and the recruiter said it's regional here. What's the per mile they offered you after training?

4. lazygecko

lazygecko Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Green Bay, WI
    Hi Dubwise,

I cant send PM's either.. but the name is Craig Waters. I worked with Mark Tieland (recruiter).

Honestly, the training pay is the only thing that sucks, but as I was unemployed, I wasn't going to argue. $325 week for the first three weeks, $350/week after that. if you are worried about money on the road to start they do give you a fuel card right away that you can get advances off of.

I am going OTR for at least the first year, and then see where that takes me. everything I've heard (and seen) is that they run you hard... 2500-3000 miles week at least.. some guys more. The miles are there, and if we are ever sitting, it is usually do to a shipper.

80% of our loads have been drop and hook, and I havent touched a single piece of frieght.

I should be done in a week, so I will update as I go solo.

Good luck, and if you are going to be in de pere at all, let me know. I live local.

5. lazygecko

lazygecko Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Green Bay, WI
    Well, everything changed when I went solo. Seems rather disorganized, I was given a run from Florida to NY that I could have gotten there 30 hours early. sat in Kenly NC for an unneeded 34 hour reset instead. They dont know how to schedule E-logs. I spend most nights sleeping on the road in front of the shipper, or what ever parking lot I can find, because I am out of hours when I leave the shipper, then have to bust ### to get to the next one, so I have went 5 days without a shower... Elogs would be fine, but the company will not allow you to split-sleeper... that is a tool that is a must for e-logs to work propperly. meeting with my DM today, since I wrote a letter to the driver retention manager with my disgust. We'll see how things go.

6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Before I got my present job, I applied online at WEL. I have a clean DAC and MVR and plenty of experience. Only problem was I job hopped every year or two in search of greener pastures.
    Seven months later they called me asking me if I wanted a job. I said I did seven months ago. I don't need one now.
    I found that strange as every OTR job I applied for the phone rings off the hook. Maybe they were looking for drivers with longevity.

7. Dubwise

Dubwise Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Hi Craig,

I decided to go with Werner instead of WEL b/c Werner only tests you after your 6 weeks of training. I've been out of the truck for 4 months now so thought that was a smarter move for me. Hopefully, WEL will be able to respond to your complaints. 5 days without a shower sounds like no fun...

8. Thehousethatpeterbilt

Thehousethatpeterbilt Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2010
    new jersey
    I just got my CDL this week and I applied with Wel today.
    I got a call from a recruiter in just hours after I applied online.
    Wel sounds much better than all the "starter companies" out there that take CDL grads. Keeping my fingers crossed. Good chance of driving a Pete with Wel!:biggrin_255:

9. lazygecko

lazygecko Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Green Bay, WI
    I think sending a letter to the Retention Manager raised eyebrows with my DM, but I got her attention. I got a 7 stop 1200 mile run that day, more drop and hooks, and better scheduling. still not perfect, but I guess I had to let them know I wasn't happy with it all. Hopefully it lasts :)

"house" I would plan on getting a Freightliner to start. Their Pete's are pretty new, and now they are buying all KW, but I believe they are saving the newer and new trucks for seasoned drivers with good records. I dont mind my Freightliner, its roomy and at 6'1" I can stand up in the cab, not just the sleeper.

Dub- good luck with Werner. let us know how it goes.

10. Thehousethatpeterbilt

Thehousethatpeterbilt Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2010
    new jersey
    Im used to Freightliners so I'd be happy either way. Even the oldschool FLD's. 10 speed Eaton's are no problem.:biggrin_25525:

11. OLLY

OLLY Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Cecilia, KY
    Anyone know anything about WEL i've looked and have'nt found anything about them. Any info would be appreciated

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.