Welding on my new 7400 Workstar

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by workstar, May 12, 2016.

1. workstar

workstar Bobtail Member

May 12, 2016
    Hello all,
    Can someone give me an answer in regards to the truck's computer? I have heard so many stories but not one that is a 100%. I am in the Electrical Sign business and getting ready to buy a new International equipped with a crane, welder and everything to install rather large signs. Occasional we have to fabricate parts for the project on the bed of the truck. I am told that if we weld on the truck I could fry the computer for the truck. That computer as I am told is $2500 and up. What do heavy equipment mechanics do? They weld all the time on their beds. Some people say I have to put a disconnect switch on the negative side of the trucks battery every time I weld. Is that good for the computer on off on off on off? I just talked to Miller Welder they said don't worry about just go ahead and weld. That computer is a lot of money to wonder each time I weld did I fry it? Yes we pull the welding leads and ground it to the piece I am welding on but the piece is on the bed and grounded to the truck.
    can someone please help?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. willeo6709

willeo6709 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2015
    I have no experience in "modern electronically controlled diesel truck" but they say the same thing about modern electronic automobile. While there may be select instances where the welding was blamed for the fault ( true or not) I have a.seen or b. done welding on vehicles without a thing disconnected with no ill affects. If you are that concerned about it get your self some plywood and nylon bolts and bolt an insulator ( the plywood )between the bed and another sheet of steel to weld on( have to use plastic bolts or current goes through the bolts).

4. upallnite

upallnite Light Load Member

May 15, 2010
    Hempstead,TX
    you will not hurt the computer or any of the electronics on the truck by working off the bed. they suggest you unhook the batteries if you plan to weld on the truck itself. what has happened at sometime or another someone placed the ground clamp for the welder on the front of the truck, such as the bumper and then tried to weld on the frame or a body panel somewhere else on the truck. because of poor connections of bolted panels and corroded connections the current may have went thru the computer circuits. the way to prevent this is to keep the ground as close to the work as possible. been doing this for a few years and have never had this problem.

BoxCarKidd and Klleetrucking Thank this.
  5. Klleetrucking

Klleetrucking Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2010
    S.C.
    ^^^ Explained very well ^^^

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Helps to connect the ground lead to vise grips and have a secure contact to clean metal. To my understanding the times when you have a bad ground while welding or trying to is when high voltage spikes can be sent through the system. I weld on some company equipment on a regular basis with no problem but disconnect on outside equipment for liability.

7. Alberta trucker

Alberta trucker Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Leduc, Alberta
    I have welded on my 2016 international 7600 with no I'll affects as have the mechanics at the dealership, heck the deck was welded to the frame and they did nothing special with the computer, get a good ground to frame and weld away without worry is what I was told.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.