well, No longer with Werner

Discussion in 'Werner' started by BrenYoda883, Jun 4, 2015.

1. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Hi all, well havent been on here lately and just wanted to give you a quick update... as many of you know I have been with werner for about a year and a half... I have defended werner when I felt that false negative information was being posted by someone and I have also always stated that werner is the greatest company...
    I have moved on and am no longer with werner... however, my time with werner and a couple companies before I went to werner certaily helped me get my new gig which is perfect for me...

I got a great tow truck driver gig... it is a CDL A tow truck driver gig and the pay is incredible... as well as the benefits...
    Cool.. just a call, so goota go.. will be back to finish my update and my final thoughts on werner....

Beverly Peffer, Chinatown, 201 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good for you. Glad to hear your new gig is working out.

BrenYoda883 Thanks this.
  4. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Glad you got out of werner's hauling for hell operation,,tow truck driving is a great job,,lot's to learn and generally different every day,,Good luck keep you hook busy!

BrenYoda883 Thanks this.
  5. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Well that was a voluntary repo call... nice car young kid.. obviously upset about losing his car.. so they drained the battery and let the air out of the tires... he and a couple of his friends were geering me as I was airing the tires and charging the battery.. but I explained to them that I am just doing my job as a tow truck driver and not associated with their bank or financial institution that is repossessing his car... and they chilled out...

you are rignt no day is the same... each call is different..and you can't prejudge how it will go... I have had people whos car we are repossessing be nice and people who are starnded on the road with a broke down car be jerks...

the parking lot grabs are their own beast... and source of good debate and converstation at the shop... in the field, once we get tow tires off the ground.. if the owners shows up, the can either pay us $75 to drop it right there for them or pay $290 to get it out of our impound... so, there can be confrontation... but, the parking lot grabs are a big revenue for our company and why I get paid as well as I do..

so, yeah, this gig is very different from Werner... for one, it is a lot lot smaller of a company, so as a driver I am closer to and directly interact with all levels personnel, from the owner of the company to the janitor.. dispatch is very awesome and pretty much have a feel for each driver, and comunicate their decision making with you..so, for example, if I am hanging out at the shop and see a driver who just got back from a call
    Get another one, they will explain to me why.. could be that that call was above my skill level, or tt they have a possible CDL A call and dont want me out on a regular call if it comes in...
    another big difference from werner, is in personal safety.. obviously we can get into some sticky situations, so the allow, as well as encourage and help you get a gun permit and concealed carry permit.. and encourage you to carry... which, I do choose to do...

The biggest difference.. I do get paid for everything I do.. all the work I do I get paid for.... which, was not the case with werner, especially on the last accout I was on.. a local net op gig running trailers back and forth from Omaha to Iowa City IA... on the account I only got 244 miles per run.. even though I ran 246 mile in Iowa a lone, and another 10 to 15 miles in Omaha... while 10 to 15 miles is not a lot, it is many many miles of the course of months.. also, on the account, Igot paid the same if I just picked up a loaded trailer from the terminal and drove itto Iowa City or if I had to grab an empty from the terminal, drive to a shippers, check inn, drop the empty, grab the loaded and then go to Iowa City.. now, if I gripped enough about it, my fleet manager would add so e money.... but, really, I shouldn't have to fignt for it...

However, overall, i do not have a lot of complaints about werner... itis what it is.. a big mega carrier... and it served me well while I got the experience I needed ... some drivers stay with werner on one of their better accounts.. and some lime me, move on...

Being a tow truck driver is a lot more work... and it gets busy busy when the weather is bad... and takes some stellar people skills to handle the difficult customers, repos, a d parking lot grabs... but it has it good times and fun times too.. and the pay is incredible.. last week I made more in 50 hours then my two best 70 hour weeks at werner... or the other two small truck companies I was with before werner...

The thing, you got to get experience and have a game plan of what you want to do or make and go get it.. in my case, I knew I wanted to bide my time and get to my 2 year recent experience mark.. withas few as companies as possible.. I had two.. a small reefer out fit and werner.. and it was that that got me this new gig..

So, I am not bashing werner.. again it is what it is.. and it can be a good stepping stone to something better if you are smart about it.. not chase pennies.. wait and go for bills when the time is rignt..

KeithT1967, BostonTanker and SHOJim Thank this.
  6. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Parking Lot Grabs are just SLEAZY

If I were you I would Peddle Meth on a corner right next to a School.

You would have more respect in the Community.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Canned Spam and DDRdan Thank this.
  7. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    So when should people be accountable for what they do not own?

Obviously when it gets to the point of the financial institution willing to fork the money over for a repo & many times take a loss of the collateral, it is not the first notice that payments are behind, yet the person(s) are still able to make full use of what is not theirs - stealing.

Read your contract.

Good to hear you have a sweet job now Bren, its encouraging to see people move up through their careers.

Check out RepoNut on youtube, owns his own business south of Salt Lake City & has very professional & educational videos that might give you tips on sticky situations.
    I am entertained & informed every time even though not in the business.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    BrenYoda883 Thanks this.
  8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I was not referring to Repoes but to parking lot grabs. We had an outfit here in my beach community that was doing it . I was a victim of theirs at one time.

Fortunately they got shutdown after their illegal practices.

9. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    What is a parking lot grab?

10. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    Sounds like a job like that would never have a dull moment. Its all fun and games though until someone gets seriously physical. I'd definitely tread carefully with carrying on a job like that. It can either save your life or get you into a heap of trouble. Good luck with the new career

11. Davezilla

Davezilla Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    I was actually considering working the night shift for a local towing place.

As far as Werner is concerned, I had a great time teaming... but an absolutely nightmare as a trainer. I regret leaving teaming, but I cant work for a company when I know that the trainers are being mistreated so badly.

Solo was ok, it was a living. Team was awesome. Trainer was a living hell because of the schedule they expected us to operate on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.